Re: data integration - how to make a portal

Leo Sauermann wrote:

> Hi SWEO,
>
> at the moment, we are working/finishing the task of Information
> Gathering, and I would like to have some feedback within ~10 days about
> this question.
>
> First question:
> Would somebody be interested to coordinate the "portal" task, if not
> alone, then together with me?
> (I would like to concentrate on finishing the gathering task now)
>
> Second:
> How to make a "Semantic Web Education and Outreach Portal" [1]
> some designs are here [2] and at the end it should look somehow like this:
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/PortalPlans/Designs?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=2007_06_13a.gif

I like the outlook:-)

But I would like to understand what you mean by 'get started'. Is that a
fixed set of link to fixed documents, or (hidden) fixed sparql queries
to the collection? The same for the 'technologies'?

Let us not forget: there should be a pointer to a sparql endpoint on our
data

In fact: I wonder whether this outlook couldn't/shouldn't be combined
with some sort of an exhibit type outlook (faceted stuff, that is). Ie,
I could click on OWL, on, say, book, and some other stuff to get to a
specific book quickly....

The problem with exhibit is that it does not work really work with RDF
data yet in the sense that one cannot easily combine it with dynamic
data (essentially sparql queries)....

(I know, it is so easy to just throw up ideas:-)

> It should have the typical features needed for a portal:
> * lists of tutorials
> * lists of good tools
> * lists of ????
> * users can add tags/comments
> * users can add new things

lists of significant articles, books, journal/magazine interviews,
application use cases...

Of course, there could be more but some of these are taken by others
already. Eg, planetrdf is pretty good, and I do not see the reason of
making another one (although we could aggregate planetrdf into our
collection, too). Would that be under 'news' (could be, after all...)

I.

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/