Re: Microformats vs RDFa

Paul Walsh, Segala wrote:

> [...]

YES!!! I fully, wholeheartedly agree. Microformats are, in some way,
part of the Semantic Web in a larger sense and, with the usage of GRDDL,
they are part of the SW in a stricter sense, too. It gives an easy way
to bring in structured data into the SW, and is, maybe, the best
solution when using simple things like addresses.

However, they are not the full solution. Mainly when it comes to cases
when one mixes lots of different vocabularies, or when the original
vocabularies are very complex, the microformat+grddl model begins to be
difficult to use. RDFa provides a more general, albeit a bit more
complicated, solution which comes handy in such cases.

One of the use cases the RDFa group wants to publish is scientific
publication. Roughly: somebody wants to publish data on a complicated
scientific experiment. The person can do that in an HTML file, ie, to be
shown on a browser, but adding additional metadata using RDFa. The
metadata at hand can be very complex: nobody in his/her able mind will
produce a microformat plus a grddl transform for the gene ontology, for
example; but if using RDFa, that is simply not necessary.

Ivan