RE: small trip report: visit to Bangalore...

Ivan,

I highly recommend that you include your work/presentations on your blog.
Don't be self-conscious, although that's easier said that done :) Don't keep
your good work tucked away!

Great feedback with some great questions that need answers in a public
domain.

I've got a great post/paper(?) to write about Content Labels. My head of
accessibility operations (Adrian who has 9 years experience working for AOL
UK/Europe) talked to his wife about what we were doing. He got a little
frustrated when trying to make her understand until it clicked...

Adrian's wife (Jackie) said, 'oh, you mean like when I go to the shop and
look at the content label on the back of food to ensure I'm happy with the
contents before buying...' Brilliant! It's sometimes easier to get people
who are not connected in any way, to help us articulate what we have in our
heads...

Thanks again Ivan and be sure to blog everything in future - I would like to
commentate on what you have to say. I'm assuming you'll be blogging about
the SWEO.

Cheers
Paul

On
> Behalf Of Ivan Herman
> Sent: 26 February 2007 12:20
> To: W3C SW Education and Outreach IG
> Subject: small trip report: visit to Bangalore...
>
> Hi everybody,
>
> I had a recent trip to Bangalore, and maybe it is interesting to collect
> some SWEO-specific experiences here...
>
> I have a small blog on the conference itself[1]. I usually do not like
> to brag about my presentations, so I did not add the pointers to the
> blog; they are [2] and [3]. I also participated at a panel. Finally,
> outside of the conference, so to say, I had a W3C related meeting at
> Infosys, Wipro (both are Indian monster sized IT companies) and at a
> meeting with small local companies.
>
> Some experiences that are worth noting for this group (in no particular
> order)
>
> - need to create SW communities locally. I actually refer to that in [1]
>
> - there were lots of questions on the relationships of Web2.0 and
> Semantic Web. My answers were always along the lines of[4] which was
> well accepted. Actually, the interesting remark was that, for many in
> India, Web2.0 and Semantic Web _are the same_, they do not even know the
> difference:-). I saw that you guys had a long discussions on the
> microformats vs Semantic Web issue while I was away:-) but the questions
> were usually more general than that. For example, the issue of giving
> more 'structure' to tags came up several times, something that the
> Web2.0 community begins to hit in general...
>
> - I got asked several times on whether major search engines use the
> Semantic Web or not, and if yes how. And, more generally, how would
> these two technologies work in future. Honestly, I did not have a proper
> answer, though it _is_ a FAQ (it would be good to extend the [5] with
> this, if one of you have more knowledge about it than I do!). I know
> about Yahoo Food using SW tools, but I am not sure how; my best shot was
> to refer to the GoPubMed project[6] as a good example. Actually, I was
> the one opening the flood gates by referring to search problems in [2]
> and [3], I should try to avoid that:-)
>
> - there were several (technical) questions on provenance, access
> control, etc, of data accessed via Semantic Web means. This *is* on the
> future stack, I am not sure we at SWEO can say anything else...
>
> That is it for now. B.t.w.: any comments and, mainly, improvement text
> on [5] is _always_ welcome!
>
> Ivan
>

> [1]

http://ivanherman.wordpress.com/2007/02/25/semantic-web-and-digital-librarie