Re: Semantic Web Activity page use case

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> On Monday 05 February 2007 18:25, Ivan Herman wrote:
>
>>Yes, that paragraph has been there for a long time; it is actually a
>>quote from a presentation or an interview from Tim. As far as I can
>>judge, microformats did not exist when that paragraph was put there.
>

> Right.
>

>>The question is of course the audience. When you say that *this* use
>>case can be implemented by microformats, that means that you already
>>are way ahead of the crowd and you *know* what the usage of the web
>>of data is.
>
> [...]
>
>>(And if people would also make an association with
>>microformats, that by itself is not so bad. In some way, I regard
>>them to be part of the Semantic Web...)
>

> I too regard microformats as part of the Semantic Web, but I would think
> that W3C pages address more technical people than complete novices to
> web technology. And I meet a lot of people these days who thinks that
> microformats would solve pretty much everything that is interesting
> with Semantic Web, which is far from what I think, and I think that
> paragraph reinforces that impression and thus underlines the impression
> they have that the W3C is completely irrelevant and that whatever we're
> doing here can be safely ignored.
>
> Which I would think is a bad thing...

I think we are in a wild agreement:-)

The example should be extended in a way that it would not be solvable
(or only with great complication) with microformats. My initial take is
to emphasize the heterogeneity of the various data that are to be
mashed; mixing vocabularies in one seamless application is one of the
areas where microformats may begin to go wrong...

Ivan