Re: comments on the SW FAQ

Ivan Herman wrote:
> Wing C Yung wrote:
>
>> Ivan, here are some long-overdue comments on the FAQ.

>>> Let us discuss that. When I wrote this, I tried to avoid diving into to
>>> too much technical details on this answer. There are other sections
>>> where more specific links are added, but I tried to keep to stay in
>>> generality at that point. What do you think?
>>>
>> We think it would be good to mention the names of the technologies so that
>> readers have something to search for when they go to do more research. We
>> agree that the description should be high-level and not too technically
>> detailed.
>>

> O.k. I will add just the acronyms of the relevant specs at the end of
> the bulleted items.

>> hints

>> tremendous

>> Web,

>>> That is controversial, I am not sure how to formulate this. Lots of
>>> people would consider that a 'misuse' of the SW technologies, because
>>> the 'Web' aspect is missing. Can you help writing this down somehow?
>>>
>> Thoughts on the following?
>>
>> Q: Is it possible to use Semantic Web technologies outside of a Web
>> application?
>>
>> A: Yes, the Semantic Web standards can be used to model, query, and reason
>> with data for any application, not just Web applications. Non-Web
>> applications can still enjoy the benefits of the Semantic Web because they
>> can use the simple and expressive data model, leverage existing tools and
>> libraries, and share and merge data more easily when the need arises. Even
>> non-Web applications, however, should pay close attention to the URIs that
>> are assigned to resources in the data; depending on the nature of the data
>> developers should consider ensuring the resolvability of the URIs.
>>

> Hm. I think that some more thing should be added, I do not really know
> how to formulate it (maybe you could have a go). The point is that a
> number of features of SW techs were defined *with the Web in mind* (Open
> World is a typical case). The same holds for the tools developed for the
> SW. If somebody uses these for internal applications, so to say, that is
> fine, but this should be kept in mind somehow...

If you give everything a URI/IRI then you are truly a click away from
the old: Information at your fingertips vision :-) Actually, in the case
of the Semantic Web we go one further: Knowledge at your finger tips!

A URI for Customers, Support Cases, Bug, Products, Operating Systems,
Employees, Competitors, and anything else that your domain of reference
seeks to unveil :-)

You should be able to click an email address and determine that the mail
sender is a Prospect, Customer, Partner, or Competitor for instance.
This simply means RDF  instance data for eCRM systems.

Semantic Web technologies used outside the Web facilitate the generation
of URI/IRIs for every relevant item of data in a given domain.

--

Regards,

President & CEO