SWEO Introduction: John Davies

John Davies - Next Generation Web research, BT

I lead a team at BT (British Telecommunications) looking at the application of semantic technology to a number of areas of interest to BT, most notably knowledge and information management and semantic web services. BT coordinates - and I manage - the SEKT EU collaborative project (www.sekt-project.com) looking at semantic knowledge technology and also participates in the DIP project (dip.semanticweb.org) in the area of semantic web services. I am a co-organiser of the ESWC conference series (www.eswc2007.org). I have also done my share of books, publications, program committees, etc. Other current interests are the use of semantic technology in health informatics (and particularly terminological services) and in data integration (ontology as unifying access layer to multiple heterogeneous data silos). Web 2.0 and "social software" are also attracting some attention...

Part of my role is explaining the business benefits of semantic technology both inside and outside BT so I think the group will be very relevant. I have done a certain amount of semantic web outreach previously including organising a Semantic Web "Industry Day" at this year's WWW conference (http:/www2006.org/sekt/) and various interviews and press articles (for example, http://www.director-magazine.co.uk/September06/semantic.html, or chuckle at my less-than-relaxed style in front of the camera: http://www.telecomtv.com/vzine/jun06/video.asp?ttv_id=791&url=vzine/jun06/video.asp?ttv_id=791&action=video&bit=hi&cp=view).

Current telecon time is good for me in principle but in practice I am often in meetings or travelling. If my participation rate proves too low, I may ask a team member here at BT to attend on my behalf.

Regards,
John.

Dr John Davies
Head of Next Generation Web Research