Re: Collection of Comments re. RDF/XML

Kingsley Idehen wrote:

> All,
>
> As I said during the SWEO meeting earlier today, RDF/XML the
> "Serialization Format" is too often intermingled with RDF the "Data
> Model". It is extremely important that we make separation of the
> "Serialization Format" and actual "Data Model" the cornerstone of
> improved clarity about the constituent parts of the Semantic Web vision.
>
> The Semantic Web (as I see it) will be comprised of Physical & Virtual
> Graphs. The Physical Graphs (typically for import, export, or basic
> syndication gem purposes etc.) will be in the form of: RDF/XML,
> N3/Turtle, or anything else. Thus, we cannot have RDF/XML dominate
> discussion about the RDF Data Model in general. An example this problem
> is illustrated via the current the Semantic "Stack Cake" Diagram
> <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/diagrams/sweb-stack/2006a.png>.

About this layercake: there has been a long discussion on the layercake
diagram on the Semantic Web Coordination group some months ago. It was
initiated by the fact that the way the Rules work is in the stack is not
really in line with their lines. After discussions, here are two
versions that we ended up with:

http://www.w3.org/2006/07/layerCake-2.png
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/layerCake-4.png

I think the second is closer to the rules people's work and mindset

> I will provide a URI for an enhancement to the current "Stack Cake" that
> attempts to diffuse the aforementioned RDF/XML  issue.

As said: this work has already been done, and I think it reflects those
issues as well...

Ivan