RE: [Messaging] Questionnaires

Hi Orri,

I don't know if you were subscribed to this list when Kingsley posted your
comments a few days back. I'm reposting my response in case you didn't
have a chance to see it the first time through. I'm sure we can discuss
this more on the telecon this week.

Orri Erling wrote on 11/23/2006 06:48:58 AM:

> Hi
>

> The questionnaires as they now stand seem very technology centric.  This
is
> of course understandable since they are about adoption of a technology.
> These might however better engage the recipient if these were set in a
more
> application centric manner.  A CIO or CTO or even a web developer  may
have
> a rather vague idea of the semantic web, hence something to bring it in
> focus can be useful.
>
> Thus, for the ones who say they do not have SW involvement, after all
these
> are the more important target, we could have a few additional questions.
>

> For example, on the enterprise side:
>
> "If you are not using or considering semantic web technologies for EDI,
1.
> do you have significant need for combining  data from heterogenous
sources
> in the first place?  2. What do you use for this, e.g. data warehouse
> maintained by batch imports from different sources with customized ETL?
> Applications directly accessing diverse RDBMS's?   Do you see benefit in
> introducing a semantic layer for homogenizing the terminology and
structures
> of disparate relational schemas, XML documents etc?"
>
> The last is a leading question.  Maybe better ask "How do you see the
> maintainability and agility of your present EDI?"

Hi Kingsley and Orri,

At the face-to-face, we discussed a variety of questions similar to these
(though perhaps in a bit less detail). We decided in the end that in the
interest of encouraging a high response rate to the questionnaires, it
would probably be best to limit the initial questions to a small number of

relatively simple questions. As we gather the responses, we will follow-up

with some/all of the responders with more focused / detailed questions to
help us build effective SW core and industry-specific messaging. I'd also
be wary of including such specifics on the initial questionnaire as it
pigeonholes the responders into thinking about only certain areas in which

SW technologies are applicable, whereas there is value for our messaging
in gaining an open-ended idea of what problems areas people currently
associate with SW technologies.

I think it would be a great idea to start taking these more specific
questions and building a rough draft of potential questions for follow-up
questionnaires on the wiki.

Lee

> On the web developer side:
>
> "Do you use tagging?  In the applications you develop?  In the
applications
> you use (Technorati, del.icio.us etc.)   Do you find that it is easy to
> combine data from different social networks, e.g. Myspace, LinkedIn?
What
> are the application scenarios you feel cannot be adequately addressed by
> tagging plus full text search, if any?  Do you encounter issues, either
as a
> user or developer, with information overload?  Is there some needed
> classification of incoming information  that a cpombination of tags and
spam
> filtetering does not do?"
>
> "What are the web sites/services/information feeds that you would most
need
> to integrate/merge/compare?"
>

> Of course these questions implicitly contain our assumppttions on what
the
> semantic web can offer.   These cannot contain the full potential of the
SW,