Re: RDF resource list in RDF

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:06:25 +0100
To: "Paul Walsh, Segala" <paulwalsh@segala.com>
Cc: 'Danny Ayers' <danny.ayers@gmail.com>, public-sweo-ig@w3.org
Hi Paul,

Paul Walsh, Segala wrote:
> F2F looks like it was productive - especially with the amount of tasks Susie
> received ;)
> Regarding tasks/responsibilities;
> Either David's comments weren't captured in the minutes entirely, or he
> forgot to mention that Segala doesn't just provide Content Labelling for
> Accessibility. We are also building a system to make Content Labelling
> easier for other Trust providers to adopt quickly and cheaply. Mass adoption
> is what we're after. I think this is important to note because Content
> Labelling is a current W3C initiative about to move onto a full
> recommendation track in order to replace PICS - current method of filtering
> adopted by IE.

thanks for the additional data about Segala. Does this mean that you
will also participate in the Content Labelling group if it gets off the
ground? (I'd think so...)

> I'd like to take on the responsibility of managing the relationship/bridging
> the gap between the SWEO and Web 2.0 communities.

>                                                     Ivan, to get this started;
> can you please ask TimBL if he will do some interviews? I can set them up
> for the main Web 2.0 commentators (I've already been approached!). I think
> this will be a great 'start' for the outreach. I'm doing some interviews but
> feel TimBL (for some strange reason) will draw in the crowds a little better
> than me :)

Knowing the incredibly busy schedule of Tim, this may prove to be quite
difficult. In any case, you will have to contact Amy (amy@w3.org), she
has the full power on Tim's schedule; such request should be sent to
w3t-pr@w3.org, too. The only influence I would have on this if we make
it very clear *why* we need this, for what purpose in SWEO. I would
propose to discuss this a bit more (on the telco, for example) before we
engage into that...

> Doing interviews with the Web 2.0 community is the best start IMHO - getting
> the immediate attention of more than a few hundred thousand qualified
> people, a lot of whom blog themselves, will be much more 'engaging' than
> speaking to a traditional print publication. The traditional publications
> will pick up from these guys anyway...

We has some discussion on that at the f2f, in what we referred to as
'questionnaire', and we did identify some people to talk to. Do you
think here of a more 'formal' interview, like with a reporter?

> I would still like the group to focus more on the Semantic Web and not RDF.
> This group is supposed to be focused on education and outreach. RDF is an
> 'enabler'. If I was to setup an outreach programme to increase the amount of
> retailers on the high street in order to stimulate more spend, I'm not going
> to teach people how to build a shop using the most appropriate and durable
> brick.

> So, again, what is the Semantic Web going to do that will make a true
> difference to the Web? I'm extremely passionate about the SW (a_n_d the
> power of RDF) and my company strategy is actually based on it (although our
> site paints 10% of the picture).
> I'd like us to focus on the social stuff; how will the SW effect
> 'Search/Findability', 'Trust', 'Relevance'... - all the things that
> techies/grannies care about. I know RDF underpins all of this, but let's
> start from scratch. Talking about RDF from the start will get us into the
> usual debate without actually highlighting the good things we want to
> achieve.

I think I understand what you say. The slight worry I have, though (but
that may be only me) that we would divert into some sort of a very
general (though fascinating!) discussion on the future of the Web and
the Universe in general, and we have to set some limits to ourselves...

> I'm very sorry if I appear to be preaching, it's not my intention to do

Don't be!