RE: Myths of the Semantic Web - Popular Misconceptions for Why it Won't Work

I can't disagree with any of the comments being made thus far. However, I'm
in violent agreement with Jeff and I love his thought process.

----

I would like to propose that this group stop talking about technologies.
Talking about technologies is one of the reasons for the Semantic Web being
widely misunderstood and misrepresented by even the most qualified people.

Instead I would like to propose we focus on:

1. Situation
What is the current situation - landscape, perceived 'competition'

2. Problem
What problem are we fixing or changing

3. Implication
If we don't do this what will happen

4. Need (Pay- Off)
If we do do this what will happen

Most of the world doesn't know what terms such as ontology and RDF mean, so
let's start to use a language that's understandable and leave the techie
stuff to the relevant working groups within the W3C. I've been attending and
organising many events where I discuss this kind of stuff. Very few
(qualified) people think the Semantic Web is understood, so let us focus on
the benefits to commercially driven organisations. I'd like to propose that
we use user friendly terminology to help focus on what the public already
understand. This will allow us to 'pick low hanging fruit'.

RDF = Metadata - flexible metadata that's not yet utilised by search engines
and browsers. When it's put to use, it will enable users to find what they
are looking for and trust what they find. Personalised search based on
Yahoo! and Google personal profiles is not scalable, standardised and to be
frank, is crap.

FOAF = personal/company profile using metadata - this can enable trust for
people and companies. Example; users can have the same profile for eBay and
Bebo and can be rated by the general public in a secure and trusted manner.

Ontology = metadata used for different reasons / example - Content
Labelling. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontology - ok, so I'm not as smart
as most people on this list, but what the hell is the explanation on
wikipedia all about!!

To address Neil's question about security and ID; I suggested to Philip
Hallam-Baker and senior management at VeriSign, that SSL Certificates were
'so yesterday' <g>. I suggested that Certificates made up of metadata
(Content Labels) were more scalable, standardised (well, soon I hope if the
WCL-XG can move onto a formal recommendation track!), more flexible and
cheaper to implement. Guess what, they didn't argue with me when I showed
them a browser that reads metadata in the same way it reads SSL Certificates
to display a trusted icon in the status bar.

So, Content Labelling can be used to help users find and trust sites that
are secure, trusted for their identity, accessible, child safe,
independently verified by a medical authority, suitable for Muslims, comply
with advertising code of conduct... the list goes on. All of this could have
different levels of trust; not labelled, self labelled and independently
verified and labelled.

The Semantic Web = enabling search engines and browsers to provide more
trustworthy and relevant search results for users. It's not about enabling a
toaster to communicate with a Web site.

Long story short, I ended up chatting with one of the founders of Bebo and
birthday alarm (combined membership of more than 40 million users) last
night. I didn't talk about how he could embrace the Semantic Web. Instead, I
talked about how he could provide users with a profile in metadata. He found
this interesting and will now talk to one of my techies to learn more.

Perhaps we need to rename the 'Semantic Web' to 'Web 3.0 service pack 4'.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Kind regards,
Paul