Re: Basics of Effective Learning

Thanks for the pointer, Kingsley.

Tom Gruber gave a keynote[1] at ISWC2006 on the theme of 'collective
intelligence' which was quite interesting (the videos will, eventually,
be published, the pointer on [2] did not really work for me...). Here is
what I blogged on this[3]:

[[I quite liked Tom Gruber’s keynote on “Social Web”. Tom tried to avoid
the controversial Web 2.0 term and talked rather of the collective
intelligence of folksonomies, tagging, blogging, etc. It was good to
hear a talk that avoids the unnecessary controversy on the relationship
between Web 2.0 and, say, the Semantic Web. Tom also talked about an
attempt to give a more coherent ontological model for tagging, though it
seems that this work is stalled due to missing people to work on it (see
also an earlier blog[4] he had on this for some more details). Would be
good to pick this up…]]

Actually, the comment on Tim O'Reilly's blog that caught my eyes is the
one of Steve Loughran. He says:

"semantic web is built on ontologies and ubiquitous RDF"

which, in this form, is incorrect and one of the 'myths' we do have
around SW (maybe we should make it part of[5]), namely that any SW
application must use ontologies, ie (according to this line of thought)
has to use OWL, ie, is based on complex and difficult-to-understand
concepts.

He also adds a remark that:

"Perhaps the rebranding of SemWeb work as Web3.0 is an attempt by the
Semantic Web community to try and stay relevant, or it was just a witty
title by the article author."

I am not sure who came up with the Web3.0 term, but, in my opinion, I
wonder whether we should use it at all. At first glance, my gut reaction
is to stay away from this.

Ivan

[1] http://iswc2006.semanticweb.org/items/keynote_gruber.pdf
[2] http://seminars.ijs.si/iswc2006/