Re: Contd: SWEO Messaging

Danny Ayers wrote:
> On 05/12/06, Paul Walsh, Segala <paulwalsh@segala.com> wrote:
>
>> We already have ESW Wiki [1] as a great repository :-) My only little
>> gripe is the lack of RSS feeds re. content.
>
> I have http://esw.w3.org/topic/RecentChanges in a set of firefox tabs
> I open regularly, allows me to track fairly well.
>
>> [PW] This isn't user friendly enough. Compare it to
>> www.microformats.org -
>
> Microformats.org is very good...
>
>> it leads to a wiki where appropriate but we need a user
>> friendly/accessible
>> UI. A site based on Wordpress would be easy and would also allow end
>> users
>> to comment/contribute on a blog - this could include plugins to enable
>> tracking, trackbacks, rss, bookmarking... Thoughts? It's very Web 2.0 ;)
>
> Dogfood!
>
>> If we do want to go down other routes I can easily make an instance of
>> OpenLink Data Spaces (ODS) [2] available to SWEO. This will give us the
>> following:
>
> Sounds mighty interesting, and the demo looks great. But for outreach
> purposes I'd be inclined to start with well-known tools and make them
> more useful through RDF kit.
>
> I'm not sure what there is for Wordpress, but it should be possible to
> cobble something together from existing tools that offered both blog &
> wiki style presentation/editing, together with facetted browsing (e.g.
> Longwell) and SPARQL endpoint... Maybe Wordpress + Semantic Mediawiki
> with additional integration through ODS?
Wordpress does have SIOC plug-ins that enable it move from Web 2.0 to
the Semantic Web :-)
See the RDF/XML exporters [1] coming out of the SIOC Project [2].

If you look at <http://microformats.org> and <http://sioc-project.org/>
they both share a common theme (Wordpress + MediaWiki). Also note (you
know this anyway)  that MediaWiki also has Semantic Web plug-ins in the
from the SemanticMediaWiki [3] effort. Thus, as you have indicated, we
should "Dogfood" for sure and adapt a collaboration solution that works
for all.

Re. ODS, Wordpress and MediaWiki work fine since they support the
relevant standards for Open Data Access & Sharing. ODS will simply make
the public data available in Real of Virtual RDF form with a SPARQL
Access Point to boot. The integration prowess of ODS are what actually
provide the most relevant and immediate benefit at this point  :-)

Links:
1. http://sioc-project.org/wordpress
2. http://sioc-project.org/
3. http://wiki.ontoworld.org/wiki/Semantic_MediaWiki