From: Ivan Herman [mailto:ivan@w3.org]
Sent: 05 December 2006 10:49
To: Paul Walsh, Segala
Cc: 'Kingsley Idehen'; public-sweo-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: On the messaging issues (was also the RDF/XML discussion on the
call)

Paul,

yes, the microformat community has gone its own way, and we are not very
successful (yet?) in getting closer to them. It is difficult to say why,
here are some of *my* feelings. It may be characteristic for *some* of
the problems we have.

- the RDF/XML issue did play a role. I do not want to repeat the issues,
we all know them. Note, however, that even a turtle-like formalism would
create problems: the microformat community is very much against
namespaces, for example, which is also used in Turtle:-( [They are also
vehemently against XML sometimes, but that is a different ballgame...]

- I think the image of the SW is that it is too complex and that is why
they ignored it. In my view, one of main reasons for the complication is
that there is no clear separation for a number of people among the
different 'layers' of the Semantic Web: RDF as a basic model, RDF
Schemas, the various levels of OWL. The impression many people have is
that one *must* develop complex ontologies, use DL reasoners, etc, etc,
to be on the Semantic Web. Somehow the fact that one can be a prefectly
decent Semantic Web citizen by using RDF only goes unnoticed. This may
be a way bigger problem than the RDF/XML issue (but, again, the survey
should tell us more about this).

You refer to simplicity below: we do have to emphasize that, at the
basics, we are *not* talking of something complicated here!

Note also that things are changing. The GRDDL work may have a major
impact on this!

About your question on what is the Semantic Web: of course, it is a bit
like that elephant in the tale. Extending on the FAQ[1] I would say:
"The Semantic Web is an extension of the current Web better enabling
computers and people to work in cooperation." This is very general, but
quite true...

I.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/SW-FAQ#What1

Paul Walsh, Segala wrote:
> Microformats [1] - "designed for humans first and machines second".
>
> I wonder where they got the idea for the above. Perhaps they wish to
> purposely differentiate themselves from the SW knowing that it isn't
> understood, let alone adopted.
>
> More quotes from the Microformats people:
>
> "highly correlated with semantic XHTML, AKA the real world semantics, AKA
> lowercase semantic web, AKA lossless XHTML" and
>
> "a set of simple open data format standards that many are actively
> developing and implementing for more/better structured blogging and web
> microcontent publishing in"
>
> [...]
>
> This is a standard/method(?) that is explained very well in my opinion and
> we should learn from its success. I hear from a reliable source that there
> are over 100 million implementations of hCard. Real users include
LinkedIn!

> Microformats was setup as a result of the SW moving too slowly (or not at
> all in some people's opinions). Microformats is hugely successful because
> there are real benefits to realise immediately.
>
> Personally I'm an evangelist for the SW, but we need a brand new approach,
> or the SW will do more of the same and end up walking on ice while others
> come up with short term solutions to real problems that are being faced
> today (not tomorrow).
>
> So, can someone tell me in simple language, what they think the Semantic
Web