Re: Semantic Web Layer Cake Update Suggestion

Ivan Herman wrote:
> Kingsley,

Ivan,

> one problem that triggered the whole discussion back in July, and which
> is reflected on
>
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/layerCake-4.png
>
> is the positioning of the rules. The way the work goes in the rule
> interchange format working group is that
>
> - rules do not necessarily *rely* on RDF though they may refer to it as
> a possible dataformat
> - rules would also accept *pure* (ie, not RDF related) XML as data format.
>
> Sandro, you may want to correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Your version of the diagram may be misleading as if Rules somehow
> 'depended' on RDF. Lots of people in the RIF group would vehemently
> object to this.

I have no position regarding Rules, it isn't the part of the Cake where
I have any particular strong opinions. For instance, I certainly don't
believe they are dependent on RDF per se either. Thus, tell me what you
want to do with this and the Cake can be fixed accordingly, my main
issue and focal point is RDF/XML and RDF Data Model separation.
> Actually... this also shows the limits of such diagrams (and I also
> think of the reaction of Mike Wilson here when saying this). If all
> aspects were taken into consideration, then the diagram would become
> very complex indeed. And, actually, what the relative positioning of
> each box means is different to different people. We had long discussions
> on the CG this summer (you can ejoy the discussion by following the
> threads [1] and [2]). I am not fully convinced that we should focus on
> it too much. But that is my personal feeling.

The Cake Diagram is all about the old addage: A Picture Speaks a
Thousand Words. I is about a cornerstone from which the outreach
communications can be derived. The Cake is currently all over the place
on the Web which makes addressing this important when dealing with
outreach style communications.

My main focal points re. the Cake remain:

1. RDF/XML and RDF Model separation
2. Showing that URI/IRI point to something: Data Sources or Providers
(Yahoo1, Google, MySpace, Blogs, Wikis, IRC chat logs, Discussion
Forums, Mailing Lists, Traditional Web Sites etc.. all being examples of
Data Sources / Providers).

Kingsley

--

Regards,