Re: Proposed PR Document set

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 06:42:00PM +0100, Sean Bechhofer wrote:
> I have finished editorial updates to Reference and the namespace
> documents.
>
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/Overview.html
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/skos.html
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/skos.rdf
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/skos-xl.html
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/skos-xl.rdf
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/skos-dl.rdf
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/extras.css
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/extras.js
>
> There is one outstanding issue -- the explicit namespaces of:
>
> * SKOS Namespace Document HTML Variant
> * SKOS-XL Namespace Document HTML Variant
>
> which are cited in those documents. Once we have resolved these, I
> will freeze the bundle and tag the CVS.

This is generally great, and I am very happy with the order of
appendixes, placement of explanatory text, titles of documents,
and the like.  With regard to the URIs, however, this revision
differs on several points from what I was expecting.  We have
three documents:

    a. http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/skos.html
    b. http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/skos.rdf
    c. http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/skos-dl.rdf [*]

[*] With regard to "c", Alistair's suggested "skos-owl1-dl.rdf"
seems more precise [3,4], especially if there were any potential
for future confusion with OWL2 profiles of DL but I do not want
to press this point...

If I correctly follow Alistair's suggestion [3], we would
publish these three draft documents a, b, and c at the following
URIs (replacing XXXX of course):

    d.  http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/PR-skos-reference-2009XXXX/skos.html
    e.  http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/PR-skos-reference-2009XXXX/skos.rdf
    f.  http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/PR-skos-reference-2009XXXX/skos-dl.rdf or skos-owl1-dl.rdf

I agree with this approach and had assumed we would do this but
this is not what the latest revision says so I want to be
absolutely sure...

Next, I thought Sean was agreeing that we would _cite_ d, e, and
f in SKOS Reference Appendix C [5] -- i.e., by putting citations
into square brackets (e.g., "[SKOS-HTML]", "[SKOS-RDF]",
"[SKOS-DL-RDF]" and adding entries to Section 11.  References.

I was assuming that the HTML Variant (and SKOS-XL HTML Variant)
would have "This version" and "Latest version" URIs in their
document headers, e.g.:

    This version:    http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/PR-skos-reference-2009XXXX/skos.html
    Latest version:  http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos.html

In this latest revision [2], however, the HTML document is cited
only indirectly, by saying that it is "served from
http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core via content negotiation".  I
see two problems with this formulation:

1. The HTML should _also_ be cited directly, as discussed above.

2. The URI http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core is the
   namespace URI (http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#) -- minus
   its hash, which I find confusing.

To bring the URIs and documents into line with what I thought we
were going to do, I suggest the following changes (which also
address Sean's remaining questions regarding the URIs for the
HTML variants):

-- Edit the SKOS Namespace Document - HTML Variant
   http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/skos.html:

   -- Add headers:

        This version:    http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/PR-skos-reference-2009XXXX/skos.html
        Latest version:  http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos.html

   -- Replace "@@HTML variant" with

        http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos.html

   -- Correct "SKOS namespace URI http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core" to read:

        SKOS namespace URI http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#

   -- Correct "See also the SKOS Namespace Document - RDF/XML Variant available
      from http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core.rdf" to read:

        See also the SKOS Namespace Document - RDF/XML Variant [SKOS-RDF].

      [If I correctly understand, this is in line with
      Alistair's suggestion [3] that we redirect from
      <http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core.rdf> only as a
      "convenience shortcut" for developers, to be mentioned on
      the SKOS web site but not otherwise included in formal
      documentation.]

   -- Add bibliographic reference:

      [SKOS-RDF] SKOS Namespace Document - RDF/XML Variant.
         Latest version available at http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos.rdf.

-- Make corresponding changes in the SKOS-XL Namespace Document - HTML Variant
   http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/skos-xl.html:

   -- Add headers:

        This version:    http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/PR-skos-reference-2009XXXX/skos-xl.html
        Latest version:  http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos-xl.html

   -- Correct the SKOS namespace URI:

        SKOS-XL namespace URI http://www.w3.org/2008/05/skos-xl#

   -- Add:

        See also the SKOS-XL Namespace Document - RDF/XML Variant [SKOS-XL-RDF].

   -- Add bibliographic reference:

      [SKOS-XL-RDF] SKOS-XL Namespace Document - RDF/XML Variant.
         Latest version available at http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos-xl.rdf.

   -- Note also: change references to "XL" and "SKOS XL" in the title and text of
      the document to consistently use "SKOS-XL".

-- Make corresponding changes in the SKOS-XL Namespace Document - HTML Variant
   http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/skos-xl.html:

-- Edit Section C.1 (about the HTML variant) of
   http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/Overview.html#namespace-documents:

   -- Add a citation for [SKOS-HTML] and add a hash to the namespace URI,
      specifying that it is the namespace URI -- by changing:

         The SKOS vocabulary is summarized in this HTML document,
         which is served from http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core

      to read

         The SKOS vocabulary is summarized in SKOS Namespace
         Document - HTML Variant [SKOS-HTML], which is served
         from the namespace URI http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#

   -- Add a clickable link to Appendix A by changing:

         The HTML Variant Namespace Document replicates an
         Appendix of SKOS Reference (this document).

      to read:

         The HTML Variant Namespace Document replicates
         Appendix A. SKOS Properties and Classes</a> of this document.

   -- Make the corresponding changes in Section C.4, i.e.:

         The SKOS-XL vocabulary is summarized in SKOS-XL Namespace
         Document - HTML Variant [SKOS-XL-HTML], which is served
         from the namespace URI http://www.w3.org/2008/05/skos-xl#

      and

         The SKOS-XL HTML Variant Namespace Document replicates
         Appendix B. SKOS eXtension for Labels (SKOS-XL)</a> of this document.

-- Edit Section C.2 (about the RDF/XML variant) of
   http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/Overview.html#namespace-documents:

   -- Add a citation for [SKOS-RDF] by changing

         This RDF schema document

      to read:

         The SKOS Namespace Document - RDF/XML Variant [SKOS-RDF]

   -- Change

         by citing its URI: http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core.rdf

      to read

         by citing its URI: http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos.rdf

    -- In Section C.3, make the corresponding changes:

         The SKOS RDF Schema - OWL 1 DL Sub-set [SKOS-RDF-OWL1-DL]

       and

         by citing its URI: http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos-dl.rdf or skos-owl1-dl.rdf

    -- In Section C.5, make the corresponding changes:

         The SKOS-XL Namespace Document - RDF/XML Variant [SKOS-XL-RDF]

       and

         by citing its URI: http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos-xl.rdf

-- Edit 11. References - add to
   http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/Overview.html#references:

      [SKOS-HTML]
         SKOS Namespace Document - HTML Variant.
         Latest version available at http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos.html.

      [SKOS-RDF]
         SKOS Namespace Document - RDF/XML Variant.
         Latest version available at http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos.rdf.

      [SKOS-RDF-OWL1-DL]
         The SKOS RDF Schema - OWL 1 DL Sub-set [SKOS-OWL1-DL].
         Latest version available at http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos-dl.rdf or skos-owl1-dl.rdf

      [SKOS-XL-HTML]
         SKOS-XL Namespace Document - HTML Variant.
         Latest version available at http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos-xl.html.

      [SKOS-XL-RDF]
         SKOS-XL Namespace Document - RDF/XML Variant.
         Latest version available at http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos-xl.rdf.

-- In Section 11. References, re-order the references in alphabetical sort order of
   the reference keys:

        AGROVOC
        BCP47
        BS8723-2
        BS8723-3
        COOLURIS
        ISO2788
        LCSH
        NTRIPLES
        OWL-GUIDE
        OWL-REFERENCE
        OWL-SEMANTICS
        RDF-CONCEPTS
        RDF-PRIMER
        RDF-SEMANTICS
        RDF-XML
        RDFS
        RECIPES
        SKOS-HTML
        SKOS-RDF
        SKOS-RDF-OWL1-DL
        SKOS-XL-HTML
        SKOS-XL-RDF
        SPARQL
        SW
        SWBP-DATATYPES
        TURTLE
        WEBARCH
        XML-SCHEMA

-- For the convenience of developers, the following variants should be supported:

   http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core           for http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#
   http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core.rdf       for http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos.rdf
   http://www.w3.org/2008/05/skos-xl             for http://www.w3.org/2008/05/skos-xl#
   http://www.w3.org/2008/05/skos-xl.rdf         for http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos-xl.rdf

-- Multiviews should be disabled for the "generic document"
   http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos as
   proposed by Alistair [3,4], recognizing that Sean himself cannot
   implement multiviews or redirects [7].

The key thing is that we clarify the base URIs for the namespace
documents.  If we do indeed want to use the namespace URI as the
basis for the namespace document URIs, we would need to clarify
how "This version" URIs would be formed.

Tom

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009May/0058.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/Overview.html#namespace-documents
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Apr/0043.html