W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-swd-wg@w3.org > July 2009

meeting record: 2009-07-07 SemWeb Deployment WG telecon

From: Ralph R. Swick <swick@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 19:49:54 -0400
Message-Id: <5.1.0.14.2.20090707194540.052af548@127.0.0.1>
To: public-swd-wg@w3.org
The record of today's Semantic Web Deployment Working Group telecon
is now available as

   http://www.w3.org/2009/07/07-swd-minutes.html

A text snapshot follows.

----

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                 Semantic Web Deployment Working Group

07 Jul 2009

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Jul/0002.html

   See also: [3]IRC log, previous [4]2009-06-02, [5]2009-06-23

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2009/07/07-swd-irc
      [4] http://www.w3.org/2009/06/02-swd-minutes.html
      [5] http://www.w3.org/2009/06/23-swd-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Ralph Swick, Tom Baker, Jon Phipps, Ed Summers, Guus
          Schreiber

   Regrets
          Sean Bechhofer, Antoine Isaac, Diego Berrueta

   Chair
          Tom

   Scribe
          Ralph

Contents

     * Topics
         1. SKOS collaterals
         2. RDFa
         3. Best Practice Recipes for Publishing RDF Vocabularies
         4. SKOS
         5. SKOS Testimonials
         6. next meeting
     * Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________

SKOS collaterals

   ACTION: [CONTINUES] Ralph publish Antoine's new intermediate pages
   for legacy specs [recorded in
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2009/04/21-swd-minutes.html#action11]

     [14] http://www.w3.org/2009/04/21-swd-minutes.html#action11

SKOS community after after SWD

   Ralph: Ivan has submitted a proposal for support of community fora
   for SKOS and RDFa
   ... may know general feeling on that proposal by next telecon (2
   weeks)

RDFa

   ACTION: [CONTINUES] Ben review RDFa Use Cases and propose transition
   to Group Note [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/30-swd-minutes.html#action02]

     [15] http://www.w3.org/2008/09/30-swd-minutes.html#action02

   ACTION: [DONE] Ralph to raise issue-214 with RDFa TF [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/05-swd-minutes.html#action01]

     [16] http://www.w3.org/2009/05/05-swd-minutes.html#action01

   Ralph: not sure about discussion of [17]issue 214

     [17] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/214

   Ed: what will be the impact of the announcement of XHTML2 WG charter
   non-renewal past December?

   Ralph: in the near term, nothing substantive needs to change, other
   than the taskforce won't have a charter past September, the RDFa
   Task Force has achieved its mission. they clearly need a different
   charter past the end of September. It's part of a proposal that Ivan
   submitted yesterday to provide wiki/mailing lists for this kind of
   work. The message from Tim is pretty clear that we're going to
   invest more resources in the HTML WG, We've committed in the faq to
   having the discussion about a distributed extension mechanism for
   HTML at the Technical Plenary in November.

   -> [18]Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about the future of XHTML

     [18] http://www.w3.org/2009/06/xhtml-faq

   (see the bits about RDFa in particular)

Best Practice Recipes for Publishing RDF Vocabularies

   PROPOSED to publish update of Recipes WG Note:

   [19]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Apr/0017.h
   tml

     [19] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Apr/0017.html

   -- Editor's Draft 7 April 2009
   [20]http://berrueta.net/recipes-20090407/ moved into W3C space?

     [20] http://berrueta.net/recipes-20090407/

   Ralph: I believe we had already resolved that and I have an action

   ACTION: [CONTINUES] Ralph to publish
   [21]http://berrueta.net/recipes-20090407/ as a WG Note recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2009/06/02-swd-minutes.html#action07]

     [21] http://berrueta.net/recipes-20090407/
     [22] http://www.w3.org/2009/06/02-swd-minutes.html#action07

   ACTION: [DONE] Ralph to move current ED of the RDFa metadata note
   from wiki to WG space [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2009/06/02-swd-minutes.html#action10]

     [23] http://www.w3.org/2009/06/02-swd-minutes.html#action10

   -> [24]RDFa Metadata editor's draft copied out of wiki

     [24] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Jun/0026.html

   -> [25]Adding Metadata to W3C Technical Reports Editor's Draft

     [25] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/RDFa/tr-metadata/

SKOS

   -> [26]ISSUE-224

     [26] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/224

   Guus: problem that this comment came during Proposed Rec review
   ... if we have some local patches, what are the implication?

   Ralph: we can make editorial changes to examples

   Guus: looking at 6.5.4 ... it's the use of chemical symbol notation
   ... I see the syntactic problem with the long language tag
   ... I don't see the problem with chemical symbol notation
   ... that's just a datatype

   -> [27]6.5.4. Notations and Preferred Labels

     [27] http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/#L2655

   Ralph: use of chemical symbols as "language" may simply be a
   difference of opinion on principle

   Tom: I like the suggestion to resolve by adding a disclaimer
   pointing people to BCP 47 and saying this is an area where best
   practice might be evolving

   Guus: and people might want to consult this space before deciding on
   a solution
   ... Alistair is more familiar with language issues than either Sean
   or I; he may know what to say

   Ralph: is Alistair reachable again?

   Tom: yes

   -> [28][SKOS] Re: ISSUE-224 [Ralph]

     [28] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Jul/0009.html

     [[
     I would recommend instead that we offer to (a) modify the
     example(s) to be syntactically conformant and (b) offer to add
     a phrase such as "note that such use of private subtags to
     transmit data unrelated to language or language choice may
     violate BCP 47".
     ]]

   Guus: let's ask Alistair and Sean for their agreement to this
   ... we can resolve here that we find Ralph's proposal acceptable
   contingent upon Sean and Alistair's agreement

   PROPOSE: We (a) modify the example(s) in 6.5.4 to be syntactically
   conformant to BCP 47 and (b) offer to add a phrase such as "note
   that such use of private subtags to transmit data unrelated to
   language or language choice may violate BCP 47" contingent on
   Alistair and Sean's agreeing

   Tom: ok

   <edsu> +1

   Jon: ok

   Guus: ok

   RESOLUTION: We (a) modify the example(s) in 6.5.4 to be
   syntactically conformant to BCP 47 and (b) offer to add a phrase
   such as "note that such use of private subtags to transmit data
   unrelated to language or language choice may violate BCP 47"
   contingent on Alistair and Sean's agreeing

   Tom: so editors would write a phrase and offer it to I18N Core?

   Ralph: yes

   Guus: timing might be tricky
   ... I'll be away a lot after next week

   -> [29]Antoine's offer

     [29] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Jul/0004.html

   Guus: let's resolve to fix the editorial change in [30]ISSUE-225

     [30] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/225

   Tom: Sean and I discussed this and I think the singular form is
   correct

   Guus: but we need to respond to the comment

   Tom: Sean and I were in agreement that the singular "note" is
   correct, but I prefer to leave it to him to reply to the comment

   PROPOSE: Sean to decide on issue-225

   RESOLUTION: Sean to decide on issue-225

SKOS Testimonials

   Guus: I have a number of actions on testimonials
   ... I've asked Antoine to help and he's already done some work

next meeting

   Tom: I'm unavailable in 2 weeks
   ... propose 4 August

   Guus: I'm out 4 August but available on 11 August

   Tom: let's work on a press release before you leave
   ... before 18 July
   ... let's try 3-way mail with Ivan in the next 10 days

   <GuusS> as an aside: minutes of "publishing vocabs" meeting during
   Dagstuhl workshop:

   <GuusS> [31]http://www.w3.org/2009/07/01-swdag2009-minutes.html

     [31] http://www.w3.org/2009/07/01-swdag2009-minutes.html

   <GuusS> proposal is to publish a white paper, to be edited in ESW
   wiki

   <GuusS> I have the action to see whether this group, in particular
   TOM, wants to contribute

   <GuusS> i have to leave anyway, I hope we covered all

   <Ralph> I think so, I'm proposing that you, Tom, Ivan coordinate via
   email

   <GuusS> ok

   <GuusS> have a good holiday (I hope you will get some)

   <TomB> Guusl, next call on 11 Aug?

   next meeting: 11 August, Guus to chair

   <GuusS> ok

   [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

   [PENDING] ACTION: Ben review RDFa Use Cases and propose transition
   to Group Note [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/30-swd-minutes.html#action02]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Ralph publish Antoine's new intermediate pages for
   legacy specs [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2009/04/21-swd-minutes.html#action11]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Ralph to publish
   [34]http://berrueta.net/recipes-20090407/ as a WG Note recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2009/06/02-swd-minutes.html#action07]

     [32] http://www.w3.org/2008/09/30-swd-minutes.html#action02
     [33] http://www.w3.org/2009/04/21-swd-minutes.html#action11
     [34] http://berrueta.net/recipes-20090407/
     [35] http://www.w3.org/2009/06/02-swd-minutes.html#action07

   [DONE] ACTION: Ralph to move current ED of the RDFa metadata note
   from wiki to WG space [recorded in
   [36]http://www.w3.org/2009/06/02-swd-minutes.html#action10]
   [DONE] ACTION: Ralph to raise issue-214 with RDFa TF [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2009/05/05-swd-minutes.html#action01]

     [36] http://www.w3.org/2009/06/02-swd-minutes.html#action10
     [37] http://www.w3.org/2009/05/05-swd-minutes.html#action01

   [End of minutes]
     _____________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [38]scribe.perl version 1.135
    ([39]CVS log)
    $Date: 2009/07/07 23:49:26 $

     [38] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [39] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Tuesday, 7 July 2009 23:50:23 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 7 July 2009 23:50:24 GMT