Re: [SKOS] application in indexing and search

Hi Johan!

We are developing in this direction for practical projects in Brussels
and in Alsace. Publicly accessible results should be visible by the end
of the winter: http://www.windmusic.org

DSpace is the first target application but we target any Java
application (JSPWiki is the next we will tackle)
1) Authority lists / thesaurus are loaded statically or dynamically in
memory from different sources (SQL, XML, CSV files; RDF should be
supported when useful using RIO).
2) Memory model and API is aligned on SKOS concepts and terminology
3) Services include:
   a) indexation expansion (synonyms, translations, broaders) for word
searches
   b) Autocomplete to help cataloguers but also searchers
   c) Search using "concepts" rather than words
   d) Display using proper terms for user language (and not the code or
other terms)
   e) Hierarchical browsing in thesauri trees
   f) Display of usage count of concepts in different applications and
applications indexes
  g) Export "in context" (data reduced to what is pertinent for a given
user) in XML piped in XSLT transformation.

The module is buffering data so cataloguing / search / display speed is
optimal.

The global aim of the project is presented at http://www.askosi.org
The motivation for one of the current projects is explained in
http://eprints.cilea.it/conf/viewpaper.php?id=197&print=1&cf=11

Our goal is to participate in projects which aim at maximizing the user
value of information databases (ergonomics, functionalities, content
management, efficiency). We would be very happy to participate to SKOS
Application Services (this is more than data modeling) standardization
efforts.

Wishing you a very nice day (in Belgium, you may have to stay inside!)

Christophe Dupriez
dupriez@destin.be
+32 475 77 62 11