W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-swd-wg@w3.org > January 2009

meeting record: 2009-01-13 SemWeb Deployment WG

From: Ralph R. Swick <swick@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:21:59 -0500
Message-Id: <5.1.0.14.2.20090113122012.043025d8@127.0.0.1>
To: public-swd-wg@w3.org

The minutes of today's Semantic Web Deployment Working Group telecon
[1] are now ready.  Thanks, Diego, for scribing this meeting.

  [1] http://www.w3.org/2009/01/13-swd-minutes.html

A text snapshot follows.

----

                                  SWD

13 Jan 2009

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Jan/0041.html

   See also: [3]IRC log, previous [4]2009-01-06

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2009/01/13-swd-irc
      [4] http://www.w3.org/2009/01/06-swd-minutes.html

Attendees

   Present
          Tom Baker, Ralph Swick, Diego Berrueta, Antoine Isaac,
          Alistair Miles, Ben Adida, Jon Phipps, Ed Summers

   Regrets
          Sean Bechhofer, Daniel Rubin, Guus Schreiber

   Chair
          Tom

   Scribe
          Diego

Contents

     * Topics
         1. Admin
         2. RDFa
         3. Recipes
         4. RDFa metadata note
         5. AOB
         6. SKOS
         7. mapping properties
     * Summary of Action Items
     _____________________________________________________

Admin

   RESOLVED to accept minutes of the Jan 06 telecon:
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/06-swd-minutes.html

     [14] http://www.w3.org/2009/01/06-swd-minutes.html

   TomB: our charter has been extended to end of apr

RDFa

   ACTION: Ben review RDFa Use Cases and propose transition to Group
   Note [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/30-swd-minutes.html#action02]
   [CONTINUES]

     [15] http://www.w3.org/2008/09/30-swd-minutes.html#action02

   BenA: we're in the middle of a discussion with the XHTML WG re use
   cases

   BenA: working now to provide guidance about adding rdfa in HTML

   TomB: any isssues?

   <Guus> [i will not be able to join sorry]

   <TomB> [ok]

   BenA: introduction of a new attribute to declare namespaces in html
   (not xmlns)
   ... @prefix
   ... another issue, ability to import profiles specially targeted to
   common patterns (i.e., vocabularies)
   ... for instance, social networks
   ... focus on browser features vs. data extracted from RDFa-documents

   TomB: any pointers to the discussion?

   BenA: in the XHTML WG mailing list

Recipes

   ACTION: Ralph to review the revised Recipes draft [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2008/12/02-swd-minutes.html#action15]
   [CONTINUES]

     [16] http://www.w3.org/2008/12/02-swd-minutes.html#action15

   ACTION: Ralph/Diego to work on Wordnet implementation [of Recipes
   implementations] [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2008/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action20]
   [CONTINUES]

     [17] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action20

RDFa metadata note

   ACTION: Ralph post his comments on the editor's draft of the
   metadata note [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2008/11/25-swd-minutes.html#action03]
   [CONTINUES]

     [18] http://www.w3.org/2008/11/25-swd-minutes.html#action03

AOB

   ACTION: Guus to look at OWL documents for review [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/21-swd-minutes.html#action10]
   [CONTINUES]

     [19] http://www.w3.org/2008/10/21-swd-minutes.html#action10

SKOS

   ACTION: Ralph send CR transition request for SKOS [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/06-swd-minutes.html#action01] [DONE]

     [20] http://www.w3.org/2009/01/06-swd-minutes.html#action01

   <Ralph> [21]Transition Request: SKOS to Candidate Recommendation
   [Ralph 2009-01-07]

     [21] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2009JanMar/0000.html

   ** SKOS primer

   ACTION: Antoine to prepare revised draft of SKOS Primer ready for
   decision to publish as WD [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/06-swd-minutes.html#action04] [DONE]

     [22] http://www.w3.org/2009/01/06-swd-minutes.html#action04

   -> [23]Revised draft of SKOS Primer

     [23] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Jan/0042.html

   TomB: propose we take a decision to publish as WD

   Ralph: I'm ok to proceed

   TomB: I'm the main reviewer, I'm ok with publishing
   ... some issues may need futher discussion, maybe later in this
   telecon, they are non-blocking

   <Ralph> [24]Editor's Draft 13 January 2009

     [24] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/primer/primer-20090113.html

   PROPOSED to publish
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/primer/primer-20090113.html
   as WD

     [25] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/primer/primer-20090113.html

   Antoine: both versions are the same
   ...
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/primer/primer-20090113.html
   is the same as the wiki attachment

     [26] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/primer/primer-20090113.html

   TomB: any discussion?

   <Ralph> +1 to publish

   RESOLVED to publish
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/primer/primer-20090113.html
   as WD

     [27] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/primer/primer-20090113.html

   <aliman> nice work!

   TomB: thanks Ed and Antoine

   ** SKOS Impl report

   ACTION: Guus to report on usage of SKOS in vocabularies at VU for
   SKOS implementation report [recorded in
   [28]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/06-swd-minutes.html#action09]
   [CONTINUES]

     [28] http://www.w3.org/2009/01/06-swd-minutes.html#action09

   ACTION: Sean to report on SKOSED for SKOS implementation report
   [recorded in
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/06-swd-minutes.html#action10]
   [CONTINUES]

     [29] http://www.w3.org/2009/01/06-swd-minutes.html#action10

   TomB: Ralph: what's the status of our CR request?

   Ralph: send, probably reply by this week

   TomB: when our CR is published, we can make a call for impl

   Ralph: it's part of the CR announcement

   TomB: call for impl should include updated pointer to Primer

   Ralph: I'll make sure they cross-reference each one
   ... do we have a draft of the impl report in any form?

   TomB: none I'm aware of

   Ralph: I would like to have content for the URI I put in the draft
   Status
   ... but if we don't have one, that's ok

   TomB: re Impl Report, I would like to talk about LCSH

   <Ralph> I wrote "An implementation report will be available at
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/implementation-report " and
   that URI is currently 404

     [30] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/implementation-report

   <Ralph> (which is OK, until we actually publish :)

   TomB: what the situation is about LCSH in SKOS?

   edsu: they want to have it running for an upcoming conference

   <aliman> I've read all the comments at [31]http://lcsh.info -- all
   very constructive I thought

     [31] http://lcsh.info/

   aliman: we have more than enough vocabs

   Ralph: we have six weeks to deliver the impl report, lcsh.info may
   be included as an experiment if it's online at the time

   <Ralph> Ralph: [32]http://lcsh.info/comments1.html is now an
   important piece of our history :) so if and when the experimental
   data reappears at lcsh.info, I hope
   [33]http://lcsh.info/comments1.html will also remain 'cool' :)

     [32] http://lcsh.info/comments1.html
     [33] http://lcsh.info/comments1.html

   <edsu> Ralph++

   Antoine: we can mention LCSH in the Impl Report even if not online
   at that time

   <Ralph> [I wish I hadn't been off the 'net during that period to add
   my comments.]

   TomB: i would be nice to know who to contact in LCSH regarding
   statements about skos usage

   <edsu> Barbara Tillett is your best bet

mapping properties

   TomB: re: discussion about RDF struct values, I don't see this as a
   blocker

   <TomB>
   [34]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Jan/0039.h
   tml

     [34] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Jan/0039.html

   TomB: section on the primer about mapping/standard/ properties,
   three paragraphs, need more discussion

   Antoine: I could buy your story

   JonP: the mappings aren't owned by either schema, but by the creator
   of the mapping

   TomB: Alistair suggested to drop the paragraph, I rather think to
   replace it
   ... the challenge is to articulate what the distinction is. Not sure
   if the current text does that

   Tom: I think we can better articulate the difference between mapping
   properties and standard semantic properties

   <aliman> SKOS Reference: The mapping properties skos:broadMatch,
   skos:narrowMatch and skos:relatedMatch are provided as a
   convenience, for situations where the provenance of data is known,
   and it is useful to be able to tell "at a glance" the difference
   between internal links within a concept scheme and mapping links
   between concept schemes.

   JonP: better replaced than dropped

   TomB: the question is who feels in the position to make assortments
   about standard properties as opposite to mapping relationships

   aliman: I rather say as little as possible

   <Ralph> [perhaps we can note that we recognize a need for standard
   ways to communicate provenance in the Semantic Web and when we have
   such mechanisms, the answer to this question of what one thesaurus
   provider says versus what others say about the thesaurus will become
   more explicit]

   aliman: there is enough in the examples in the Primer
   ... i think it's difficult to say more than the quotation from the
   SKOS Reference

   Ralph: it's outside scope of SKOS to differenciate triples with
   regard to their source

   <aliman> +1 on what ralph says, hence SKOS Reference says: However,
   using the SKOS mapping properties is no substitute for the careful
   management of RDF graphs or the use of provenance mechanisms.

   <TomB> [The argument could run as follows: Ideally, we should be
   able

   <edsu> Ralph++ # well said

   TomB: actually the text I propose says that

   <Antoine> +1

   Ralph: we're both thinking in the same line

   aliman: we don't have best practices to represent provenance. This
   may be a convention you may follow

   <Antoine>
   [35]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Jan/0039.h
   tml

     [35] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Jan/0039.html

   <TomB>
   [36]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Jan/0039.h
   tml

     [36] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2009Jan/0039.html

   TomB: if we don't say anything about the distinction, people will
   wonder what the distinction is

   <Ralph> [ah, I see the difference Alistair points out between my
   thoughts and Tom's text. I'll have to think about this more. Thanks,
   Alistair.]

   Antoine: I would be happy if we say sthg about mapping relations in
   the Primer

   <Ralph> [it's still out of scope for SKOS to say anything about
   provenance :) ]

   TomB: propose we move the discussion to the list
   ... next meeting?

   <edsu> thanks everyone for the useful discussion of
   loc.gov/lcsh/skos issues

   TomB: I propose we meet next week even if a short call

   [adjourned]

   <Antoine> [37]http://www.w3.org/2008/05/06-swd-minutes.html#item04

     [37] http://www.w3.org/2008/05/06-swd-minutes.html#item04

Summary of Action Items

   [PENDING] ACTION: Ben review RDFa Use Cases and propose transition
   to Group Note [recorded in
   [38]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/30-swd-minutes.html#action02]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Guus to look at OWL documents for review [recorded
   in [39]http://www.w3.org/2008/10/21-swd-minutes.html#action10]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Guus to report on usage of SKOS in vocabularies at
   VU for SKOS implementation report [recorded in
   [40]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/06-swd-minutes.html#action09]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Ralph post his comments on the editor's draft of
   the metadata note [recorded in
   [41]http://www.w3.org/2008/11/25-swd-minutes.html#action03]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Ralph to review the revised Recipes draft
   [recorded in
   [42]http://www.w3.org/2008/12/02-swd-minutes.html#action15]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Ralph/Diego to work on Wordnet implementation [of
   Recipes implementations] [recorded in
   [43]http://www.w3.org/2008/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action20]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Sean to report on SKOSED for SKOS implementation
   report [recorded in
   [44]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/06-swd-minutes.html#action10]
   [DONE] ACTION: Antoine to prepare revised draft of SKOS Primer ready
   for decision to publish as WD [recorded in
   [45]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/06-swd-minutes.html#action04]
   [DONE] ACTION: Ralph send CR transition request for SKOS [recorded
   in [46]http://www.w3.org/2009/01/06-swd-minutes.html#action01]

     [38] http://www.w3.org/2008/09/30-swd-minutes.html#action02
     [39] http://www.w3.org/2008/10/21-swd-minutes.html#action10
     [40] http://www.w3.org/2009/01/06-swd-minutes.html#action09
     [41] http://www.w3.org/2008/11/25-swd-minutes.html#action03
     [42] http://www.w3.org/2008/12/02-swd-minutes.html#action15
     [43] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action20
     [44] http://www.w3.org/2009/01/06-swd-minutes.html#action10
     [45] http://www.w3.org/2009/01/06-swd-minutes.html#action04
     [46] http://www.w3.org/2009/01/06-swd-minutes.html#action01

   [End of minutes]
     _____________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [47]scribe.perl version 1.133
    ([48]CVS log)
    $Date: 2009/01/13 17:20:20 $

     [47] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [48] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Tuesday, 13 January 2009 17:22:27 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 13 January 2009 17:22:28 GMT