Re: [Recipes] Puzzle with HTTP Accept, Firefox header plug-in and RDF

Antoine,

El jue, 12-02-2009 a las 16:39 +0100, Antoine Isaac escribió:
> But when it queries for the SKOS 2008 file [3], Firefox gets redirected to [4] and not to [5].
>
> How come? What is puzzling is that Vapour [6] reports that everything is ok with both URIs [1] and [3], even though the behaviours differ when there is no content negociation. Interestingly, Vapour itself recognizes my Accept headers: when I activate the application/rdf+xml only, it sends its reports in RDF, while it sends the HTML if I do nothing.
>
> Is there something more than Accept header involved? Has my plug-in bugs, or am I just too dumb to think of myself playing with that kind of stuff?

This problem is a nice example of the risks of using the User-Agent
header for content negotiation. The server is issuing a redirect to the
HTML document when you use Firefox/IE, regardless of the content of the
Accept header. Compare these two requests:

$ curl -I -H "Accept: application/rdf+xml"
http://www.w3.org/2008/05/skos

HTTP/1.1 303 See Other
Location: http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-skos-reference-20080829/skos.rdf

$ curl -I -H "Accept: application/rdf+xml" -H "User-agent: Mozilla/5.0
(X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009020409 Iceweasel/3.0.6
(Debian-3.0.6-1)" http://www.w3.org/2008/05/skos

HTTP/1.1 303 See Other
Location: http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-skos-reference-20080829/skos.html

Best,

(Thanks to Sergio, in CC, for the HTTP traces)

--
Diego Berrueta
R&D Department  -  CTIC Foundation