Re: ISSUE-133: Last Call Comment: domain of skos:inScheme

Here is a draft response to Michael on ISSUE-133, comments welcome.

--- begin draft message ---

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your detailed and helpful comments. In response to your
comment below:

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 11:33:12AM +0000, SWD Issue Tracker wrote:

> ISSUE-133: Last Call Comment: domain of skos:inScheme
>
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/133
>
> Raised by: Alistair Miles
> On product: SKOS
>
> Raised by Michael Schneider in [1]:
>
> """
> Maybe I missed it, but I don't see what the domain is for skos:inScheme. I would
> expect skos:Concept, but it's neither explicitly stated, nor do I see how it can
> be inferred. If it's inferred, or if the domain is intended to be unrestricted,
> something should be said in the "Notes" section below.
> """

We propose to make an editorial change to the SKOS Reference, adding a
note to the end of section 4 along the lines of:

"""
4.6.5. Domain of skos:inScheme

Note that no domain is stated for the property skos:inScheme. I.e. the
domain is effectively the class of all resources (rdfs:Resource). The
decision not to state any domain has been made to provide some
flexibility, enabling extensions to SKOS to define new classes of
resource but still use skos:inScheme to link them to a
skos:ConceptScheme. See also Example 84 below.
"""

Also note that example 84 in section A.2.4.2 illustrates the use of
skos:inScheme with skosxl:Label.

Does this satisfy your concerns?

Kind regards,

Alistair