Re: Last Call: SKOS Simple Knowledge Organization System Reference [ISSUE-161]

From: Sean Bechhofer <sean.bechhofer@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 12:58:36 +0100
Cc: SWD Working SWD <public-swd-wg@w3.org>
To: Tudhope D S (AT) <dstudhope@glam.ac.uk>

Dear Doug

Thank you for your comments [1,ISSUE-161]:

In section 1.3, as well as the cost/benefit argument for SKOS (in KOS
versus a
formal ontology), I think it is also possible to make an argument
based on
intended purpose. Some KOS (by design) do not represent a 'logical'
view of
their domain and are only converted to a formal logic representation in
practical terms by changing their intended purpose.

We agree with your observation and have inserted the following
paragraph into Section 1.3.

In addition, some KOS are, by design, not intended to represent a
logical view of their domain. Converting such KOS to a formal logic-
based representation may, in practice, involve changes which result
in a representation that no longer meets the intended purpose.

The Working Group propose to close this issue. Please let us know if
you are happy with this.

	Sean Bechhofer
	Alistair Miles

[ISSUE-161] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/161