Re: Last Call: SKOS Simple Knowledge Organization System Reference [ISSUE-161]

From: Sean Bechhofer <sean.bechhofer@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 12:58:36 +0100
Cc: SWD Working SWD <public-swd-wg@w3.org>
To: Tudhope D S (AT) <dstudhope@glam.ac.uk>

Dear Doug

Thank you for your comments [1,ISSUE-161]:

In section 1.3, as well as the cost/benefit argument for SKOS (in KOS
versus a
formal ontology), I think it is also possible to make an argument
based on
intended purpose. Some KOS (by design) do not represent a 'logical'
view of
their domain and are only converted to a formal logic representation in
practical terms by changing their intended purpose.

We agree with your observation and have inserted the following
paragraph into Section 1.3.

[[
In addition, some KOS are, by design, not intended to represent a
logical view of their domain. Converting such KOS to a formal logic-
based representation may, in practice, involve changes which result
in a representation that no longer meets the intended purpose.
]]

The Working Group propose to close this issue. Please let us know if
you are happy with this.

	Alistair Miles

[ISSUE-161] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/161
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2008Oct/0062.html