ISSUE-148 draft response

From: Sean Bechhofer <sean.bechhofer@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:07:26 +0100
To: SWD Working SWD <public-swd-wg@w3.org>

All,

Here's an updated draft response to Erik on [ISSUE-148]. Let me know
what you think. Note *this is just a draft, not the actual response*
-- I'll wait for feedback from the WG before replying formally to
Erik. (Erik if you're lurking on this list feel free to post your
thoughts at any time.)

	Sean

Dear Erik,

thanks for your comments [1]:

"""
While it makes good sense to have an abstract base to handle unexpected
cases, the draft acknowledges in Section 8.6.7. Reflexivity of
skos:broader
and Section 8.6.8. Cycles in the Hierarchical Relation (Reflexivity of
skos:broaderTransitive) that many applications expect hierarchical
relationships to be irreflexive and noncyclical.

Given that this requirement will be quite common, is it appropriate to
leave it as an exercise for each application to solve in a different
way?
Or would it be better to define subproperties with these constraints so
this common requirement can be addressed by common SKOS infrastructure?
"""

We appreciate and understand your comments relating to the provision
of standardised relationships. With SKOS (as with any vocabulary) the
WG had to make decisions as to "when to stop" in terms of providing
standardised vocabulary. In this case, we have decided to leave this
as an exercise for the reader and propose to make no change at this
point.

This does not, of course close the door on the possibility of
standardised extensions in the future.

Are you able to live with this?.

	Alistair Miles

[ISSUE-148] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/148