ISSUE-168: Last Call Comment: Language Tags

From: SWD Issue Tracker <dean+cgi@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 13:54:30 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-swd-wg@w3.org,public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org

ISSUE-168: Last Call Comment: Language Tags

http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/168

Raised by: Sean Bechhofer
On product: SKOS

Raised by Jeremy Carroll in [1]:

7) 5.4 s/N.B/Note/ (editorial)

It was a bit surprising that this was an N.B. rather than a "Note:".
Particularly since the note is somewhat naïve vis-à-vis RFC 4647 on language
ranges, I didn't feel it merited being well-noted as opposed to merely noted.

In fact I would prefer somewhat different text along the lines of:

Note: BCP47 defines tags for identifying languages, but does not define the
concept of "language".
e.g. "en", "en-GB", "en-US" are three different language tags, used with
English, British English and US English respectively. Similarly, "ja" ...
The condition S14 concerns language tags and hence does not conflate any of these.

Such wording avoids minefields like what is a language, and words like denote

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2008Oct/0077.html