RE: Comments on SKOS namespace change question

From: Houghton,Andrew <houghtoa@oclc.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 08:57:56 -0400
To: "SWD Working SWD" <public-swd-wg@w3.org>
Cc: "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>

I just don't understand your Cons statement.  If you had kept the original semantics of skos:broader the same and introduced a new skos:broaderNonTransitive, exactly how would this cause problem with legacy data and applications?

Personally, I see another option:

1) keep the same namespace
2) make skos:broader and skos:narrower no longer infer any semantics about transitivity
3) make skos:broaderTransitive for transitive and a sub-property of skos:broader
4) make skos:broaderNonTransitive for non-transitive and a sub-property of skos:broader
5) make skos:narrowerTransitive for transitive and a sub-property of skos:narrower
6) make skos:narrowerNonTransitive for non-transitive and a sub-property of skos:narrower

Legacy data and applications could easily live with the fact that skos:broader and skos:narrower no longer infer transitivity, but just mean one concept is broader or narrower than another.

Andy.