Re: RE : Lack of RDF/XML examples in new standards

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:17:54 +0100
To: Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com>
Cc: Antoine Isaac <Antoine.Isaac@kb.nl>, Stephen Bounds <km@bounds.net.au>, public-esw-thes@w3.org, SWD Working Group <public-swd-wg@w3.org>

Ed Summers wrote:
[...]
> I think emphasizing the data model behind skos is essential. Making
> people digest turtle and rdf before they dig into skos may be kind of
> a bitter pill for those that are already familiar with xml ... but in
> the long run I think it's worth it.
>
> //Ed
>
> PS. also I've found Turtle plays well to the JSON friendly web2.0 crowd :-)

Somewhat of an aside -

If we can stick to the subset of Turtle that is the same as SPARQL, then
there's a benefit. We are emphasising both the abstract data model, as
well as that these data patterns correspond directly to our querying
language design.

Btw re Web 2, a lot of Web 2.0-ish specs these days define a REST API
that has both XML and JSON flavours. The fact that RDF/SPARQL/SKOS has a
principles and extensible mechanism for being viewed both in JSON and
XML ought to count in our favour.

cheers,

Dan

ps. all that said, RDF/XML isn't *that* hard to read, if you cheat.

"Wherever you see an XML element beginning with a lowercase letter, that
element is telling you about a property (aka attribute, relationship);
as are the simple XML attributes. Wherever you see an XML element
beginning with a Capital Letter, that element is telling you about some
particular thing, and naming that element after a category/class. When
you see rdf:Description it is doing the same but not giving you the
class name." This works with 90%+ of RDF vocabularies. RSS1 being the
biggest exception. Something more specific could probably be said for
SKOS...