SKOS comment: naming of hasTopConcept

From: Kjetil Kjernsmo <Kjetil.Kjernsmo@computas.com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 17:35:19 +0200
To: public-swd-wg@w3.org

Hi SWD members,

We're developing an application where the Knowledge Organisation component is
based on SKOS. Other Semantic Web technologies are used throughout as well.

We anticipate that associative relations will be used extensively, possibly
also sub-propertying skos:related. We think of the system as a graph rather
than a tree. It is thus not natural for us to name any top concepts, but we
have a requirement that we identify certain concepts as concepts of
particular importance, starting points, or something like that.

skos:hasTopConcept seems almost right for our use, but it has the shortcoming
that it seems to tie strongly in with a hierarchical structure. This seems
odd to us, as SKOS does support associative relations, and they seems left
out.

We would therefore like to know if the SWD has looked into a having a similar
construct as skos:hasTopConcept for non-hierarchical structures, and if not,
if the SWD could look into it. Perhaps calling it "skos:hasMainTopic" and
dropping the mention of a "hierarchical" from the spec would be OK?

Also, for our application, it would simplify some queries if there were an
inverse of this property.

Kind regards

Kjetil Kjernsmo
--
Senior Knowledge Engineer
Direct: +47 6783 1136 | Mobile: +47 986 48 234

|  SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE  |

Computas AS  Vollsveien 9, PO Box 482, N-1327 Lysaker | Phone:+47 6783 1000 |
Fax:+47 6783 1001