Re: SKOS comment - intended directionality needs to be stated

Hi David, Tom,

Thomas Baker wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 04:56:00PM +0000, Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) wrote:
>> I imagine the directionality is somewhere stated, but in searching throught the SKOS Reference for several minutes I was unable to find it in the obvious places, such as the section on skos:broader:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-skos-reference-20080125/#broader
>> or in Section 7 on its semantics:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-skos-reference-20080125/#L2055
>> or even in the examples:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-skos-reference-20080125/#L2157
>>
>> I think a statement needs to be added somewhere, even if it is merely in the example, saying something like:
>> [[
>>         :a skos:broader :b .
>>
>> indicates that :b is a broader concept than :a.
>> ]]

It is on my editorial TODO list to add some text to section 7 explaining
the directionality of skos:broader and skos:narrower, I realised this
was missing a few days after we published ... in focusing on the detail,
we missed the obvious :)

> I assume the entries in Section 13 of SKOS Reference [1]
> will need to show Definitions, as in the 2005 spec [2] (and,
> as in 200, perhaps a clickable index of Classes and Properties
> in the upper right corner).

I had no intention to add definitions to these tables. I think the
sections of the main body of the document itself serve perfectly well as
definitions, there is no need to create standalone definitions for each
class or property.

I'm reluctant to work on separate definitions because agreeing on short
standalone definitions can be very hard, and could take time we don't
necessarily have to spend.

> David's observation makes me notice that the current SKOS
> Reference [3] lacks a Previous version: link.  As the Latest
> Version: link of the older SWBP draft [4] now redirects to
> [3], need there not be an unbroken chain of Previous version:
> links from [5] to [6]?  (Or is it the link from [4] to [3]
> that is in error?)

There is a note about superseding the older draft (with a link) in the
SOTD section.

Cheers,

Alistair.

--