Re: SKOS Comment (Reference WD June 2008) - broaderTransitive < broader, narrowerTransitive < narrower

From: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:40:20 +0200
To: Ana Oliveira <ana.quirino.oliveira@gmail.com>, SWD WG <public-swd-wg@w3.org>

Dear Joao,

Your comment is actually one that we got some times, especially on the
SKOS list itself.

Look at
and my answer at
for some insight at the formal aspects.

Now, maybe in a more pedagogical way (and using Leonard's argument):
broaderTransitive is a transitive specialization link. So it can be
interpreted as "ancestor" (while broader is a mere "parent"). And of
course "parent" is a special case of "ancestor", not the other way round.

That being said, it's very useful for us to realize that this
specialization aspect is so much a problem. I'll try to add some
sentences in the Primer about it. And of course if it is not clear now
you should complain again.

Thanks a lot for your feedback,