Re: Library of Congress Subject Headings as SKOS Linked Data

Thanks for the detailed comments Andrew, I've responded inline below:

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Houghton,Andrew <houghtoa@oclc.org> wrote:
> You might find what we have done for our Terminology Services project applicable or adaptable to your situation.  One aspect of the service is that a resource can return multiple representations, e.g., HTML, JSON, RDF or XML.  Each representation has its own URI based on the TAG finding in [1]:
>
> http://example.org/content/resource.html
> http://example.org/content/resource.json
> http://example.org/content/resource.rdf
> http://example.org/content/resource.xml

In fact this is pretty much exactly how lcsh.info works as well. In
addition to content negotiating at:

  http://lcsh.info/sh85118553

You can request a specific representation with:

  http://lcsh.info/sh85118553.html
  http://lcsh.info/sh85118553.json
  http://lcsh.info/sh85118553.rdf
  http://lcsh.info/sh85118553.n3

And have linked them via the HTML display using <link> elements, for example:

     <link
        rel="alternate"
        type="application/rdf+xml"
        href="http://lcsh.info/sh85118553.rdf" />

Thanks for bringing this up. I think it would be nice to make these
more noticeable and actionable by putting anchors to them in the HTML.

There has been some activity at LC to establish something like
application/marc+xml for the MARCXML format. I'm not sure it makes
much sense to do this for various flavors of rdf, since rdf isn't
bound to a particular schema and can intermix multiple vocabularies by
design.

//Ed

PS. it sure would be nice if the OCLC vocabularies were available on
the public web, but I imagine you've heard that before.