RE: [SKOS] About Closing ISSUE-36 ConceptSchemeContainment

Dear Antoine,

A new Editors' Draft of the SKOS Reference is available at:

[1] <http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20080118>

This draft includes a new appendix E as a placeholder for SKOS/SPARQL patterns.

The preamble to this appendix states the following:

"""This section describes some patterns for using the SPARQL query language [@@REF-SPARQL-QUERY] to implement some common operations required by applications that use SKOS data. All of these patterns are consistent with the SKOS data model."""

A sketch has been included of a pattern in which names of concept schemes are used as names of RDF graphs, allowing the containment of a semantic relation to be queries, with the caveat that this might not be appropriate for more advanced versioning scenarios.

Section 4.6.3. in the main body of the document provides a brief statement of our position wrt concept schemes and named RDF graphs, with a link to more detailed information in the new appendix E.

The originally proposed text (below) has not been used verbatim, because the document does not define a formal notion of conformance (see section 1.7), and therefore the keywords MAY and SHALL are hard to interpret -- it is not used anywhere else in the document (none of the BCP 14 key words are used).

However, appendix E hopefully makes it clear that all of the documented SKOS/SPARQL patterns are consistent with the SKOS data model.

Note also that [1] does not make any statement about recommended practice wrt rdfs:isDefinedBy. If that is considered within scope for this document, then I suggest we raise an issue specifically devoted to that and consider it for subsequent drafts.

I hope this addresses your concerns.

Kind regards,

Alistair.

--