RE: [SKOS] SKOS Reference Editor's Draft 23 December 2007

Dear Vit,

A new Editors' Draft of the SKOS Reference is available at:

[1] <http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20080118>

Please could you indicate as soon as possible whether you support the publication of this document as a public working draft, or whether any further changes are required.

The points raised in your review have been addressed in [1] as follows.

@@TODO tag has been removed from section 1.1.

> (REC) Perhaps it would make sense to split Section 1.2 into
> two parts - one part giving the generic overview of what is
> SKOS and the other one elaborating the relation between SKOS
> and OWL. This seems to be clearer from the conceptual point
> of view. The following sections (1.3 and 1.4 in the current
> document) can build on the "OWL" section then very naturally.

Section 1.2 has been split into two sections, "1.2 What is SKOS?" and "1.3 SKOS, RDF and OWL". The new section 1.2 includes some new content, giving an expanded overview of the SKOS data model.

> (SER) The document mentions possibilities of several
> different design patterns quite often. While I find this
> freedom generally very good, it would be nice to have
> document(s) or section(s) of a document that comprehensively
> discus major possible design patterns for certain
> representative SKOS use cases or examples. Perhaps a
> section(s) dealing with this could be included in the
> reference if such a material is not already planned and being
> elaborated as a separate part of the SKOS Rec.

Appendix D has been added as a placeholder for discussion of SKOS/OWL patterns. Appendix E has been added as a placeholder for SKOS/SPARQL patterns.

> (COM) I see the section on SKOS extension best practices
> (referenced presumably as a TODO part throughout the
> document) as an essential part of the document, facilitating
> the adoption and understandability of the SKOS idea and
> utilisation in practice.

Appendix F has been added as a placeholder for discussion recommended patterns for extending SKOS.

> (SER) Some motivations could be added to the parts describing
> issues like (non-exhaustive list):
> - - disjointness of skos:related with transitive closure of
> skos:broader

Done, see section 7.6.10.

> - - non-transitivity of skos:broader (7.6.5),

Section 7 now reflects the proposed resolution of ISSUE-44 as stated in [2]. Hopefully enough explanation is provided on the motivation and use of this pattern.

> - - allowed cycles in the hierarchical relation (7.6.7),

An editorial note has been added in section 7.6.8 with a link to a new issue in the SWD issue tracker, to focus subsequent discussion on this point, after publication as WD.

> - - interactions between semantic and mapping relations (10.6.6)

A number of editorial notes have been added to section 10, explaining the current situation and providing links to new issues in the SWD issue tracker, to focus subsequent discussion on a number of related points, after publication as WD.

> Specific remarks
> - ----------------
>
> (SER) The title of the Section 6 - Documentation (Notes) - is
> a little bit unintuitive and ambiguous - does it mean that
> the section is about documentation, documentation notes,
> notes about documentation or that it provides only some
> non-exhaustive notes on documentation of SKOS knowledge bases?

The title of section 6 is now "Documentation Properties (a.k.a. Note Properties).

> (REC) The title of Section 9 - Collections (Grouping) - could
> perhaps be extended in order to explicitly state what
> grouping is this section about (presumably conceptual
> resources grouping).

The title of section 9 is now "Concept Collections".

A @@TODO has been added to section 1.5 as a placeholder for an appropriate reference. (If you could suggest an appropriate reference for subsequent drafts, that would be great.)

> (REC) A reference to more particular examples of different
> design patterns w.r.t. the Conceptual Resources and OWL
> Classes relation could be added to Section 3.5.1 (if there is
> a SKOS Rec document with such examples being worked out).
> This holds for other similar parts of the document that are
> mentioning different possible design patterns (although it
> seems that the authors are aware of the need of these
> references according to some draft notes, I decided to
> explicitly mention this, just for sure ;) ).

Appendix D has been added as a placeholder for discussion of SKOS/OWL patterns.

> (REC) The example in Section 4.5 could perhaps be explained
> in some additional prose.

Some addition prose has been added.

Kind regards,

Alistair.