Why RDF? was: ISSUE-160: Allowing collections in semantic relationships

From: Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:57:04 -0500
To: "Leonard Will" <L.Will@willpowerinfo.co.uk>
Cc: "public-swd-wg@w3.org" <public-swd-wg@w3.org>, "public-esw-thes@w3.org" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Leonard Will
<L.Will@willpowerinfo.co.uk> wrote:
> But if it is just for publication and exchange, why bother putting it into
> an RDF framework? There are various simpler formats that have been used in
> the past for the exchange of thesaurus data. I thought that the point of RDF
> was to make it amenable to machine reasoning.

>From my perspective the really powerful thing that SKOS provides as a
semantic web application are web identifiers (URIs) for concepts.

Minting URIs for your concept schemes and concepts allows them to be
referenced and resolved easily. This allows descriptions of resources
to unambiguously use SKOS concepts, while also providing a means for
mapping concepts from different concept schemes together.

//Ed