Re: ISSUE-157 Draft response [was Re: OWL WG LC comment for SKOS reference document]

From: Sean Bechhofer <sean.bechhofer@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 15:44:23 +0000
Cc: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>, Guus Schreiber <schreiber@cs.vu.nl>, public-swd-wg@w3.org
To: Alistair Miles <alistair.miles@zoo.ox.ac.uk>

On 9 Dec 2008, at 14:34, Alistair Miles wrote:

> Hi Antoine,
>
> First let me say I like the story the Primer tells about documentation
> properties, would like to keep it that way if at all possible.
>
> So given the primer's position, we have to try to find a way to
> satisfy Peter w.r.t. the data model.
>
> Personally, I could live with it if we keep the Primer as is and
> implement the changes proposed by Guus. It would not be ideal, but I
> could live with it, especially as I expect most SKOS developers will
> come to SKOS through the Primer, and will not be concerned with
> description logics compatibility.
>
> I'm now trying to think of alternatives.
>
> It might be an option to make all the documentation properties
> instances of owl:AnnotationProperty, rather than
> owl:ObjectProperty. But then we have the sub-property axioms to worry
> about. From [1] I see this may be acceptable for OWL 2: "There are
> only three axioms that can be used on annotation properties:
> AnnotationPropertyDomain, AnnotationPropertyRange and
> SubAnnotationPropertyOf axioms. These special annotation axioms have
> no semantics in OWL DL, but the normal semantics in OWL Full via their
> mapping to the standard RDF vocabulary." I guess this would be a
> moderately substantial change. I could live with this.

I could also live with this, in fact I'd be happy to support this
proposal. I believe it would provide a more consistent story with the
change of the labelling properties to annotations. I don't see it as
a substantial change, and believe that if we can justify the change
of the labelling properties, then we can justify the change of the
documentation properties.

	Sean