SKOS Labelling Properties

From: Sean Bechhofer <sean.bechhofer@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:09:41 +0100
To: SWD Working SWD <public-swd-wg@w3.org>

It has come to our attention that there is an inconsistency between
the SKOS Reference and the SKOS Primer. In Section 2.2 of the primer,
we have:

[[
As specified in Section 5 of the SKOS Reference, the properties
skos:prefLabel, skos:altLabel and skos:hiddenLabel provide simple
labels. They are all sub-properties of rdfs:label.
]]

This is *not* the case in Reference. The labelling properties are
*not* declared to be sub-properties of rdfs:label in either the
Reference prose or the RDF schema. I believe that this is an
oversight, and that expectations are that the SKOS lexical labelling
properties should be subproperties of rdfs:label in order to ensure
compatability with existing tools (e.g. see [1]). The inclusion of
the statement in the Primer lends weight to this.

I propose that the SKOS Reference (and accompanying schema) includes
the assertion that the SKOS lexical labelling properties are
subproperties of rdfs:label. This violates OWL-DL constraints, but
this is already the case for the SKOS RDF schema.

This requires a change to the SKOS Reference as recently reviewed. I
would like to ask the document reviewers to explicitly state whether
they grant their consent to this change, and invite other WG
participants to comment.

	Sean

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2008Jul/
0023.html