Agenda item for next week: annotations

From: Sean Bechhofer <sean.bechhofer@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 17:57:26 +0100
To: SWD Working SWD <public-swd-wg@w3.org>

I've had the following from Uli Sattler on the subject of annotations:

[[
it would be nice to hear if you would agree that OWL 2 having
annotations that allow to

- have annotations on annotations and
- have subproperty, domain, and range on annotationproperties

would be a good thing -- even if no semantics of these would be
specified....
]]

The current situation is that the OWL WG are unlikely to have
sufficient resources to define a powerful annotation solution with
syntax and semantics, but think that it is feasible to provide such
added features (without a detailed semantics) now. This would allow,
for example, the use of SKOS properties for annotations, while
staying in an "OWL-DL" fragment.

My guess is that for most applications, this would be fine as the
annotations are likely to be relatively simple without the need for
much expressiveness other than querying for subproperties.

I'd like to put this on the agenda for a brief discussion at next
week's telecon please.

	Sean