Re: Review of 19 August Editor's Draft of SKOS Primer

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 03:42:14PM +0100, Sean Bechhofer wrote:
> >>-- The construct "various types of".  Guus
> >>   suggests "various types of notes" (plural), so I have
> >>   normalized to that -- including the change: "other types
> >>   of KOS's".
> >>

> >Does it work the same with "kinds"? There are situation for which I
> >have serious doubts (e.g. "kinds of hierarchical relation")
>
> Hmm. Guus had a similar comment about Reference, asking for a change
> from
>
> "documented with various types of note"

> "documented with various types of notes"

Actually, I made the changes in Primer to be consistent with
Guus's suggestion.  However...

> I personally prefer the former here, but would be interested if there
> is an authoritative source....

It would appear to be a modeling issue!  A quick Google search [1]
yielded the following interesting exchange on english-test.net [2]:

> Dear teachers,

> Please read:
>
> 1.No matter what kind of friend you make, I still love you.
> 2.No matter what kinds of friend you make, I still love you.
> 3.No matter what kind of friends you make, I still love you.
> 4.No matter what kinds of friends you make, I still love you.
> 5.No matter what friend you make, I still love you.
> 6.No matter what friends you make, I still love you.
>
> What sentences are correct? What is the rule? If more than one sentences are correct,
> what is the difference in meaning btw them?

and the answer:

> They are all basically correct.
> The difference depends on how many different kinds of friend, and the number of each kind.
>
> Are you referring to
> (1) one friend of one kind,
> or (2) one friend each of different kinds,
> or (3) many friends of one kind
> or (4) many different friends of different kinds

So for the case of notes, "many different kinds - one of each
kind" would come out as:

    "documented with various types of note"

which is what Sean (and my editing ear) prefer.

Tom

[1] english grammar "kinds of" plural
[2] http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic12487.html

--