Re: SKOS queries

Hi Quentin,

> I understood that skos:narrower and skos:broader are inverses. And I
> guess my question is actually going to be covered as part of the f2f
> in Amsterdam [1] in a few weeks time. My personal opinion is that
> these should be transitive in a similar manner to rdfs:subClass in OWL
> especially if users want to be able to get information through inference.

Do you have a specific application which requires this? For the moment
my personal opinion is rather not enthousiastic about transitivity, and it's grounded in
some practical concerns. I guess other workgroup member will come with
strong arguments for transitivity, but the more practical cases we can discuss,
the better...

> Another question that comes to mind is whether SKOS is intended to be
> used as stand-alone or within an ontology. As part of the project I
> work on, we have used SKOS properties such as skos:definition to
> define concept label in OWL ontologies. But I also can see some
> applications where SKOS can be used to represent thesaurus on its own.

Your sentence is unclear: do my scribblings in [1]  cover this problem?

Cheers,

Antoine

[1] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/ConceptSemantics