[SKOS] Compatibility with OWL-DL - Issue-26

Alistair,

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 04:57:27PM +0100, Alistair Miles wrote:
> Therefore I...
>
> PROPOSE that we build the SKOS semantics on OWL Full, and postpone the
> issue of OWL DL compatibility [ISSUE-38].

+1

> If we accept this proposal, then we will have to work out exactly what
> it means for the design principles we use to construct the SKOS
> Semantics. It might mean, for example, that we can declare all SKOS
> properties as either datatype properties or object properties, and not
> use owl:AnnotationProperty at all.

Issue 26 -- "Relationships between labels" -- would be impacted
by such a decision [1,2].  Maybe we could go back to a suggestion
Guus made in March [3] as an alternative to Proposal Three
("SimpleExtension") [4]:

    I had an amendment of this third proposal in mind.
    Instead of having two properties skos:prefTerm and
    skos:prefLabel, I would suggest to have just the
    current one, skos:prefLabel, and removing the
    range restriction (rdfs:literal). So, this means
    that if one queries for the the skos:prefLabel of
    a concept, one either gets a literal or a resource
    with a label equal to this literal. This prevents
    the use of construction rules and keeps the SKOS
    vocabulary simple. The only extension to the
    current SKOS vocabulary would a a class skos:Term.

Tom

[1] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/RelationshipsBetweenLabels/
[2] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/26
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Mar/0004.html