Re: [SKOS] Amsterdam topic "Semantic Relation Properties"

Hi Alistair,

I would agree with Daniel on this issue [1], allowing to represent
skos:broader and skos:narrower as either transitive/reflexive would go
against the idea of SKOS which is to share and exchange dictionaries,
etc. across the web and hence would reduce interoperability.

Cheers,

Quentin

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Sep/0097.html

Miles, AJ (Alistair) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry again for being too late for the meeting packet.
>
> As input to the "Semantic Relation Properties" topic, I've written a strawman semantics for skos:broader, skos:narrower and skos:related ...
>
> [1] <http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/SemanticRelations/MinimalProposal?action=recall&rev=6>
>
> As with the other strawmen, this proposal tries to make the least ontological commitment, and cater for the different needs of our use cases.
>
> As I see it, the main decision points for this topic are:
>
>  * skos:broader is transitive? (yes/no/maybe)
>  * skos:broader is intransitive? (yes/no/maybe)
>  * skos:broader is reflexive? (yes/no/maybe)
>  * skos:broader is irreflexive? (yes/no/maybe)
>  * skos:broader cycles are an error? (yes/no/maybe)
>
> [1] answers "maybe" to all five questions, to give the most flexibility; everything else should not be contentious.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alistair.

* Quentin H. Reul                        *
* PhD Research Student                   *
* Department of Computing Science        *
* University of Aberdeen, King's College *
* Room 238 in the Meston Building        *
* ABERDEEN AB24 3UE                      *
* Phone: +44 (0)1224 27 4485             *
* http://www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/~qreul       *