Re: [SKOS] Reference abstract and synopsis

Miles, AJ (Alistair) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've written an abstract and a synopsis for the SKOS Reference, see:
>
> <http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SKOS/Reference?action=recall&rev=15>
>
> Any comments?

It's a good start, but here's some criticism without sufficient
alternative proposal. Sorry for that, but am at a conference and don't
want to let replying slip onto my someday pile.

1. "The Simple Knowledge Organization System (SKOS) is a Semantic Web
language."

I wouldn't lead with that. Lead with something about the problem space
addressed by SKOS. Similarly with the RDF mention; squeeze this stuff in
later.

The 2nd sentence is closer to that, but is somewhat passively worded,
"Semi-formal knowledge organization systems, such as thesauri,
taxonomies, classification schemes and subject heading systems, can be
represented using SKOS."

Perhaps, something like...
"Semi-formal knowledge organization systems, such as thesauri,
taxonomies, classification schemes and subject heading systems all share
common structure, and can be applied in overlapping domains. SKOS makes
much of this shared structure more explicit, to facilitate data and
technology sharing across diverse applications".

Thinking out loud...

cheers

Dan