[SKOS]: [ISSUE 44] BroaderNarrowerSemantics

From: Reul, Q. H. <q.reul@abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:43:55 -0000
To: <public-swd-wg@w3.org>, <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Hi all,

I think [ISSUE 44] might have been resolved at the f2f in Amsterdam a
few months ago as I think to remember that we would allow people to use
skos:broader/skos:narrower as both transitive and intransitive.

However, I believe that these semantic relations should be made
transitive. For each skos:ConceptScheme, there might have one or more
top concept and there might have several subconcepts available for each
of them.

Example:
skos:ConceptScheme W
W skos:hasTopConcept X
X skos:narrower Y
Y skos:narrower Z

The user might want to know that Z skos:broader X. Or would simple graph
operation be enough to find all the sub- or super- concepts?

Furthermore, we have defined a skos:Concept rdf:type owl:Class and hence
skos:broader and skos:narrower could be used to describe owl:Class in
ontologies. I'm not sure that we want skos:semanticRelation to be
applied between owl:Class.

I'm sorry if any of these issues have already been covered.

Regards,

Quentin

[ISSUE 44] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/44

* Quentin H. Reul                        *
* PhD Research Student                   *
* Department of Computing Science        *
* University of Aberdeen, King's College *
* Room 238 in the Meston Building        *
* ABERDEEN AB24 3UE                      *
* Phone: +44 (0)1224 27 4485             *
* http://www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/~qreul       *