RE: [SKOS] inScheme and rdfs:isDefinedBy (cf. ISSUE-36 ConceptSchemeContainment)

Hi all,

I agree with Antoine to re-open ISSUE-36.

I also agree that there may be important differences between the semantics of rdfs:isDefinedBy and skos:inScheme, such that one cannot be a sub-property of the other.

I suggest we divide the problem into two:

First, we decide what we want to express.

Then, we look at existing vocabulary, in particular rdfs:isDefinedBy and skos:inScheme, and see if we can use it. If not, we invent new vocabulary.

When discussing the first point, we must bear in mind that, as Guus has pointed out, OWL has no vocabulary for explicitly stating a relationship between a class, property or individual and the ontology in which it is defined. Yet, OWL applications have worked fine so far without need for any such vocabulary. Therefore, we must carefully consider which use cases establish a firm requirement for such vocabulary in SKOS, and why there are no analogous use cases for OWL. I.e. why is SKOS special?

To stimulate discussion of the first point only, I've written some ideas down at:

[1] <http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/ConceptSchemes/DiscussionPiece>

Note that this is not a proposal, just a discussion piece, illustrating one possible point of view and some of its consequences.

Cheers,

Alistair.

--
Alistair Miles