W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-swd-wg@w3.org > June 2007

Meeting record: 2007-06-26 SWD Telecon

From: Hausenblas, Michael <michael.hausenblas@joanneum.at>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:04:40 +0200
Message-ID: <768DACDC356ED04EA1F1130F97D29852011C5874@RZJC2EX.jr1.local>
To: "SWD WG" <public-swd-wg@w3.org>


All,

The record of yesterday's SWD WG telecon [1] is ready for review. 
A summary of the agenda and action items follows.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2007/06/26-swd-minutes.html

Topics 
 1. ADMIN 
 2. SKOS 
 3. RECIPES 
 4. VOCABULARY MANAGEMENT 
 5. RDFa 

Summary of Action Items 

[NEW] ACTION: Alistair to post the proposed resolution to ISSUE-33 and
systematic display to the list [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2007/06/26-swd-minutes.html#action04]
 
[PENDING] ACTION: Ralph propose resolution to Recipe issue 1.3 [recorded
in http://www.w3.org/2007/04/24-swd-minutes.html#action09]
 
[DONE] ACTION: aliman to provide examples of cases where presentational
information is required [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2007/06/19-swd-minutes.html#action10]
[DONE] ACTION: Ralph to update SKOS pages to point to UCR [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2007/06/05-swd-minutes.html#action01]
[DONE] ACTION: seanb to create the template for test cases in the wiki
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/06/19-swd-minutes.html#action04]


The full text of the minutes reads as follows.

________________________________________________________________________
____________________________________

Semantic Web Deployment Working Group - Telecon 2007-06-26, 15:00 UTC

26 Jun 2007

 Agenda [1]

 See also: IRC log [2], previous 2007-06-19 [3]

 [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Jun/0151.html
 [2] http://www.w3.org/2007/06/26-swd-irc
 [3] http://www.w3.org/2007/06/19-swd-minutes

Attendees

 Present 
  Tom Baker, Michael Hausenblas, Ralph Swick, Clay Redding, Bernard,
Diego Berrueta,
  Jon Phipps, Justin Thorp , Antoine Isaac, Elisa Kendall, Sean
Bechhofer,
  Alistair Miles, Vit Novacek, Daniel Rubin 

 Regrets 
  Simone Onofri, Ed Summers, Guus Schreiber 

 Chair 
  Tom Baker 

 Scribe 
  Michael Hausenblas, Ralph Swick 

Contents

 Topics 
 1. ADMIN 
 2. SKOS 
 3. RECIPES 
 4. VOCABULARY MANAGEMENT 
 5. RDFa 

 Summary of Action Items 
 

<mhausenblas> Agenda:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Jun/0151.html

<mhausenblas> previous 2007-06-19

<mhausenblas> ScribeNick: Michael_Hausenblas

<mhausenblas> ScribeNick: mhausenblas

<TomB> Meeting: SWD WG

<TomB> Chair: Tom

<RalphS> kudos, Michael, for preparing the agents well before the start
of the meeting :)

<TomB> RalphS, my command Chair: Tom was captured as a comment in
http://www.w3.org/2007/06/26-swd-minutes.html , not as a command...?

1. ADMIN
PROPOSED to accept minutes of ->
http://www.w3.org/2007/06/19-swd-minutes.html 19 June telecon

RESOLUTION: accepted minutes of 19 June

upcoming telecon: 3 July

Tom: face-to-face meeting

2. SKOS
See SKOS

<scribe> ACTION: aliman to provide examples of cases where
presentational information is required [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2007/06/19-swd-minutes.html#action10] [DONE]

<scribe> ACTION: seanb to create the template for test cases in the wiki
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/06/19-swd-minutes.html#action04]
[DONE]

<aliman> discussion of presentation information and defining the scope
of SKOS

<TomB> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosTestTemplate

Tom: Discussion on SKOS implementation on list
... postpone till next week

<scribe> ACTION: Ralph to update SKOS pages to point to UCR [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2007/06/05-swd-minutes.html#action01] [DONE]

<RalphS> Re: [SKOS] Links to SKOS UCR WD [ACTION completed]

-- Issue-26: RelationshipsBetweenLabels
(http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/26)

Tom: Talked with Guus; he wants to follow up on the proposal
... any comments, yet?

Antoine: Usability issues

Issue-33: Grouping Construct
(http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/33)

Alistair: Made a proposal, waiting for feedback
... to sum up: discussed two well known ways of display
... alphabetic or systematic
... proposed therefore two statements

sorry I got no signals, here :(

can't here anyone

<RalphS> scribenick: Ralhp

<RalphS> scribenick: RalphS

Alistair: I proposed the statement "The WG MAY publish an algorithm to
generate a systematic display"

<aliman> Styles and Periods

<aliman> <styles and periods by region>

<aliman> <The Islamic World>

<aliman> Saracenic

<aliman> pre-Islamic

<aliman> <Islamic World dynastic styles and periods>

<aliman> Orthodox Caliphate

<aliman> Umayyad

<aliman> Abbasid

Alistair: so taking Antoine's challenge example with nested node labels,
... if we accept the resolution for grouping constructs you could
specify an algorith to generate this nesting display
... many thesauri may have to generate this display in parallel anyway
because there are so many techniques for doing so
... we could propose an algorithm for generating a default display
... but many thesauri may choose to send their own display information
outside of SKOS because they have their own preferred display

<scribe> scribenick: mhausenblas

Bernard: What style of information in SKOS

Alistair: Algorithm for default generation, but do not expect SKOS to do
everything
... requirements are to represent the model

<aliman>
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/PresentationInformation

Tom: Aim is to agree on statements?

<aliman> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SKOS/Semantics/Grouping

<RalphS> Alistair: I am proposing SKOS/Semantics/Grouping as the
resolution for ISSUE-33

<aliman>
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/PresentationInformation

<scribe> ACTION: Alistair to post the proposed resolution to ISSUE-33
and systematic display to the list [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2007/06/26-swd-minutes.html#action04]

Tom: Discussion on relation foaf:Person and skos:Concept -
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Jun/0115.html
... any comments?

Antoine: Kjetil wants to link tag to description and/or person
... might be possible to do via defined property

Alistair: Daniel and I had a discussion some while ago
... some kind of solution is layers of indirections
... we have not got any UC for this req

<Antoine>
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Jun/0077.html

Alistair: we should put it on the agenda, anyway
... question also tackles if we stay within OWL-DL

Tom: No core issue ... Antoine?

Antoine: For example in the medical domain, I gathered some interest

<RalphS> Clay: Librarians would be interested in this capability as well

Alistair: In scope
... it is important (cf. design patterns)

Tom: So, we put SKOS semantics on the agenda

Bern: Is it really in scope or better have it as a note

<Zakim> aliman, you wanted to say something about the SKOS semantics doc
and to comment on scope

<Zakim> Bern, you wanted to ask if this is in scope

Alistair: Informative document preferred

<RalphS> Alistair: design patterns could be part of the informative
documentaiton

<RalphS> Chair: Tom

3. RECIPES
See Recipes 

<scribe> ACTION: Ralph propose resolution to Recipe issue 1.3 [recorded
in http://www.w3.org/2007/04/24-swd-minutes.html#action09] [CONTINUES]

4. VOCABULARY MANAGEMENT
See Vocabulary Management 

Current draft is http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/VocabMgtDraft

See Discussion on URLs and URIs 

Elisa: We use URIs always, not URLs
... issues: ownership, permanence, etc.
... we use some of the onto URI from the DAML project and encountered
problems
... they seem to no longer work

Ralph: MIT now hosts DAML.org

Elisa: E.g. with OWL-S
... somehow you get to the time onto (from J. Pan)
... a question about commitment
... many discussion on semantic-web@w3
... Idea is to come up with a short list
... of the issues, make a survey
... for now: gather ideas

Tom: What kind of process to apply?
... are telecons good for brainstorming?
... given the limited time
... not - better through mailing list

<Zakim> RalphS, you wanted to ask what "no longer work" means

Elisa: I'd like to use the telecon for raising awareness

Tom: Suggest to point the group to a Wiki page, beforehand
... citing from IRC while discussion
... Might be good to have a default text
... to sum up issues to focus the discussion

<RalphS> Elisa, you suggested that some ontologies on daml.org were no
longer working. Could you followup, please, and let me know if there are
HTTP-level issues (i.e. server problems) or data obsolescence issues
(i.e. a schema or ontology document has gone too far out of date)

5. RDFa
Tom:Ben has reported about the current status via mailing list

<RalphS> An Update on RDFa Schedule and Docs

Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: Alistair to post the proposed resolution to ISSUE-33 and
systematic display to the list [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2007/06/26-swd-minutes.html#action04]
 
[PENDING] ACTION: Ralph propose resolution to Recipe issue 1.3 [recorded
in http://www.w3.org/2007/04/24-swd-minutes.html#action09]
 
[DONE] ACTION: aliman to provide examples of cases where presentational
information is required [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2007/06/19-swd-minutes.html#action10]
[DONE] ACTION: Ralph to update SKOS pages to point to UCR [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2007/06/05-swd-minutes.html#action01]
[DONE] ACTION: seanb to create the template for test cases in the wiki
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/06/19-swd-minutes.html#action04]
 
[End of minutes]


----------------------------------------------------------
 Michael Hausenblas, MSc.
 Institute of Information Systems & Information Management
 JOANNEUM RESEARCH Forschungsgesellschaft mbH
 Steyrergasse 17, A-8010 Graz, AUSTRIA

 <office>
    phone: +43-316-876-1193 (fax:-1191)   
   e-mail: michael.hausenblas@joanneum.at
      web: http://www.joanneum.at/iis/ 

 <private>
   mobile: +43-660-7621761
      web: http://www.sw-app.org/ 
----------------------------------------------------------
Received on Wednesday, 27 June 2007 14:02:12 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:17:29 GMT