[SKOS] Small report on SKOS validator

From: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 17:45:03 +0200
To: SWD WG <public-swd-wg@w3.org>, SKOS <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Hi Alistair,

Just to see I wanted to see what was the behaviour of the SKOS validator
that you provided [1]. I was pretty sure my data was ok, because I had
already done some tests, querying a local repository (and anyway I
wanted to keep the bugs if there were!) so it was more for curiosity.

Anyway I thought it could be useful for you to get some feedback.

First, thanks for providing it!

Second, the results:

For one vocabulary (5200 concepts) the tests are ok, and results
compliant with some investigation on integrity I did with the help of
SeRQL queries (for Sesame RDF repository)
for info, SKOS Basic Integrity Test Case ran in 11371 ms.
for info, SKOS Thesaurus Compatibility Test Case ran in 917417 ms.

For a second vocabulary (35000 concepts), well, I hope I've not put the
service on its knees :-| A night has passed now and no news!

Also, a test that I do in my own strategy and that you don't, it seems:
testing for "redundant" BTs. In my thesauri, I've got things like X BT
Y, Y BT Z and X BT Z explicit. This might not be in general an error
(and in my cases it is not) but someone might be interested in knowing
that for the thesaurus he is validating. this amount to some form of
circularity, when considering semantic relationhip in a non-oriented way.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/validation