W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-swd-wg@w3.org > July 2007

Meeting Record: 2007-07-10 SWD Telecon

From: Bernard Horan <Bernard.Horan@sun.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:21:50 +0100
To: public-swd-wg@w3.org
Message-id: <4694CB5E.5050909@sun.com>

The [1]record of yestersday's SemWeb Deployment WG
telecon is ready for review. A text copy follows below.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2007/07/10-swd-minutes.html

Topics
     1. [5]Admin
     2. [6]SKOS
     3. [7]RDFa
     4. [8]Recipes
     5. [9]Vocabulary Management

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Antoine to raise issue of adding broader/narrower
    relations in skos [recorded in
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action03]

      [26] http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action03

    [PENDING] ACTION: Guus to move Action 26 forward [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action04]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Guus to post user experience reports for ISSUE-26
    [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action05]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Guus to propose dates in Oct for Amsterdam meeting
    on SKOS [recorded in
    [$1\47][29]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action01]
    [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/10-swd-minutes.html#action01]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Ralph to Discuss possibility of meeting for RDFa
    in Cambridge [recorded in
    [31]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action02]

      [27] http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action04
      [28] http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action05
      [29] http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action01
      [31] http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action02

The full text of the minutes follows.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------


    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                 SWD WG

10 Jul 2007

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Jul/0043.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2007/07/10-swd-irc

Attendees

    Present
           TomB, Bernard, Antoine, Edsu, Seanb, Justin, Vit

    Regrets
           Guus, Daniel, Diego, Ralph, Jon, Simone, Sean, Elisa, Clay

    Chair
           Tom

    Scribe
           Bernard

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Admin
          2. [6]SKOS
          3. [7]RDFa
          4. [8]Recipes
          5. [9]Vocabulary Management
      * [10]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________



    <TomB> Previous: [11]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html

      [11] http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html

    <TomB> Agenda:
    [12]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Jul/0043.h
    tml

      [12] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Jul/0043.html

Admin

    TomB proposes accept minutes of 3rd July 2007

    No objections,

    <seanb> Alistair's regrets:
    [13]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Jul/0056.h
    tml

      [13] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Jul/0056.html

    Resolved

    Next telecon 17th July

    <scribe> ACTION: Guus to propose dates in Oct for Amsterdam meeting
    on SKOS [recorded in
    [$1\47][14]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action01]
    [CONTINUES] [recorded in
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/10-swd-minutes.html#action01]

      [14] http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action01

SKOS

    <scribe> ACTION: Antoine to raise issue of adding broader/narrower
    relations in skos [recorded in
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action03]

      [16] http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action03

    <Antoine>
    [17]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Jul/0012.h
    tml

      [17] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Jul/0012.html

    <scribe> --DONE

    Antoine: proposal is related to former SKOS extension document
    ... with broaderGeneric, broaderPartitive etc.
    ... eg. one is meant to represent part-whole relationships
    ... some users have spotted these ideas and would like to use them
    ... so should we represent these ideas as part of SKOS?

    TomB: what is your opinion?

    Antoine: some correspond to commonly-accepted relationships in
    thesaurus domain
    ... but may be some problems because some relationships are handled
    by multiple SKOS properties, such as broaderPartitive and
    relatedPart
    ... but generally I thin it would be a good idea to recognise that
    these properties were proposed
    ... and some users want to use these properties as part of their
    models

    TomB: anyone know how extensively these properties are already being
    used?
    ... it has a W3C URI and people are using it yet it's status seems
    ambiguous
    ... anyone checked to see amount of usage?

    Antoine: usage now is not important, but as long as they remain
    public and they correspond to common thesaurus usage then some users
    ... may start using them.

    Seanb: what is cost to us to include them?

    Antoine: not expensive, but I'm not sure they cover all the
    established needs. Some papers describe these kinds of links, but
    there are more
    ... but if we want to be extensive, or do we want to limit to the
    current extensions?

    TomB: has anyone raised any objections, other than partitive issue?
    ... what status they attained in original project and why they
    weren't moved into rest of spec?

    Antoine: I think it was for the readability of the standard, and to
    be clear about what properties can be extended by users.
    ... For example, a kind of link that can be thought of is e.g. a
    painter, and a painting process. This relationship is not currently
    expressed in the
    ... SKOS model, so some users may be confused about how to create
    their extensions? Should they be a sub property of broader or some
    more core property?

    TomB: suggest we move on today, but discuss when Alistair is here to
    discover historical context

    <scribe> ACTION: Guus to move Action 26 forward [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action04]
    [CONTINUES]

      [18] http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action04

    <scribe> ACTION: Guus to post user experience reports for ISSUE-26
    [recorded in
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action05]
    [CONTINUES]

      [19] http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action05

    -- ISSUE-33: Grouping Construct
    ([20]http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/33)

      [20] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/33%29

    Tomb: Alistair has proposed a way forward

    -- ISSUE-33: Grouping Construct
    ([21]http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/33)

      [21] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/33%29

    [22]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Jun/0166.h
    tml

      [22] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Jun/0166.html

    TomB: Does anyone disagree with this approach?

    No response

    Antoine: Sean raised some concerns about syntactic constraints

    Seanb: haven't had time to consider this yet

    Antoine: didn't know if there was redundancy between syntactic and
    possible future semantic constraints
    ... wondering if more experienced people could say something about
    this

    TomB: related to issue 31

    [23]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Jun/0166.h
    tml

      [23] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Jun/0166.html

    TomB: Alistair has added comments about relationship to OWL,
    specifically OWL-DL
    ... without Alistair's presence we can't make any progress on this
    today

RDFa

    TomB: last week Ralph suggested a discussion about the difference
    between class and role
    ... is there anyone on the telecon to discuss this?

    <scribe> ACTION: Ralph to Discuss possibility of meeting for RDFa in
    Cambridge [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action02]
    [CONTINUES]

      [24] http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action02

Recipes

    <scribe> ACTION: Ralph to Discuss possibility of meeting for RDFa in
    Cambridge [recorded in
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action02]
    [CONTINUES]

      [25] http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action02

Vocabulary Management

    TomB: Lisa is not on call
    ... so let's continue to next meeting
    ... not enough people on the call

    [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Antoine to raise issue of adding broader/narrower
    relations in skos [recorded in
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action03]

      [26] http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action03

    [PENDING] ACTION: Guus to move Action 26 forward [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action04]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Guus to post user experience reports for ISSUE-26
    [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action05]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Guus to propose dates in Oct for Amsterdam meeting
    on SKOS [recorded in
    [$1\47][29]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action01]
    [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/10-swd-minutes.html#action01]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Ralph to Discuss possibility of meeting for RDFa
    in Cambridge [recorded in
    [31]http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action02]

      [27] http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action04
      [28] http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action05
      [29] http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action01
      [31] http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action02

    [End of minutes]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [32]scribe.perl version 1.128
     ([33]CVS log)
     $Date: 2007/07/10 19:56:29 $

      [32] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [33] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Wednesday, 11 July 2007 12:22:15 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:17:29 GMT