Re: SKOS-ISSUE:ConceptSchemesContainment

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 04:04:42PM +0000, Sean Bechhofer wrote:
> TITLE:Relationships in Concept Schemes
> syntax makes it impossible to represent associations between concept
> schemes and particular relationships (e.g. a BT relationship) without
> resorting to reification. A principled approach to representing this
> containment would desirable.
> RAISED BY: Sean Bechhofer, 08/01/07
> REFERENCE: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2006Nov/
> 0078.html

Sean,

The wording ("represent associations between concept schemes
and particular relationships") seems confusingly terse if
what you want to represent is "the fact that the semantic
relationships between concepts occur within a particular
scheme" [1].

For example, I think you mean not just a "particular [type of]
relationship, such as a BT relationship", but "a particular
BT relationship between two concepts".  Also, "associations
between concept schemes" per se (e.g., "this concept scheme is
associated with that concept scheme") are not the issue here,
but the sentence could be read this way.

Maybe something like: "RDF's triple syntax makes it impossible
to associate a particular relationship between two concepts
with a concept scheme within which that relationship is
contained"?

A minor point, but I suggest that instead of the date format
"08/01/07" (August 1 in US), we use "2007-01-08".

Tom

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2006Nov/0078.html

--
Tom Baker - tbaker@tbaker.de - baker@sub.uni-goettingen.de