SKOS

From: Jan Henke <jan.henke@deri.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:54:29 +0100
To: "'SWD WG'" <public-swd-wg@w3.org>

Hi all,

my name is Jan. I work at DERI Innsbruck. As I'm new to this group, please
allow me some stupid questions :-)

Do I get it right that a skos:Concept specializes an owl:Class in a way that
it is only about *abstract* things?

Hereby both the abstract and the non-abstract entities shall be allowed to
have different types of labels, right?

Having arrived at this point I was wondering: Why not adopt the structure
proposed within PROTON [1] where we have

owl:Thing
	Entity
		Abstract
			GeneralTerm
		Happening
		Object
	LexicalResource
		Mention
		WeightedTerm
		Alias

with each entity having the property hasAlias:Alias. I think in here a
GeneralTerm is exactly what in SKOS is called Concept. Am I wrong at this
point? Assuming this to be true, both abstract and non-abstract entities
would have a pointer to a LexicalResource, i.e. some sort of label which is
what we want, right?

What do you think?

Best regards
Jan

[1] http://proton.semanticweb.org/

E-Mail:  jan.henke@deri.org
Address: Digital Enterprise Research Institute
         Leopold Franzens University
         Technikerstraße 21a
         6020 Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria
Phone:   +43 512 507 6451