Re: [SKOS] relationships between labels

Hello Alistair,

Everything amounts to choosing a name for the class representing
terms/label/whatever that would not have too much apriori
interpretation. That's why I didn't make a choice, hoping this was
enough to raise the problem (notice that Label is not perfect either,
since it collides with the property rdfs:label).
Perhaps we could for the moment try something like "LabellingEntity",
then. Each labelling entity would be required then to have one (unique)
"preferred lexical value" (the equivalent of the prefLabel and altLabel,
depending if we were at a preferred LabellingEntity or an alternative
one), and possible some alternative forms (but here we don't care). This
could be compatible with [2], I think.

Also I had already read your [3]. And agreed with many things there. The
only objection I would raise is that, as designers of SKOS, this WG has
some freedom decide for the interpretation of the constructs we
introduce (provided of course it is not too counter-intuitive). Just
think of skos:Concept. SKOS contains a highly debatable entity, assigns
it a highly ambiguous term, and restricts its interpretation in a very
specific way, which could be argued against by many (just think of
skos:Concept vs. owl:Concept). And yet there is interest for SKOS.

Cheers,

Antoine

PS: this discussion aprat I will not fight till death for having
"Term-as-class" in SKOS. But I would like any refusal to be further
discussed. On the SKOS list there were arguments against it, arguments
for it (I have tried to note them, I'll push them to the wiki soon, I
hope), but the final decision was made in a way that I could not really
keep track of, at least browsing the mailing list...