	From: public-esw-thes-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-esw-thes-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Alasdair J G Gray
	Sent: 17 December 2007 11:52
	To: Miles, AJ (Alistair)
	Cc: Antoine Isaac; public-esw-thes@w3.org; public-swd-wg@w3.org
	Subject: Re: [SKOS] A new proposal for ISSUE-39
ConceptualMappingLinks

	Hi Alistair, all,

	Sorry to take so long to reply.

	Miles, AJ (Alistair) wrote:

			My interpretation of the fact that there is
development of a
			skos mapping vocabulary, which has been further
confirmed by
			Antoine's email, is that the semantic relationships
defined
			in the skos core [2] are to be used only for
relationships
			between concepts in the same scheme.
			However, this is not explicitly stated in the text of
the skos core.
			Will this be changed in the next version of the skos
core?

		We don't know yet, it's under discussion. Do you have any
preference?

	I very much believe that there is a difference between the
relationships that take place within a vocabulary and those that take place
between vocabularies.

	In the first case (intra-vocabulary relationships), all the concepts
form part of a coherent whole and the relationships can be seen as a
statement of fact. The relationships form part of the vocabulary, meaning
that if you make use of the vocabulary then you accept all the
intra-vocabulary relationships.

	In the second case (inter-vocabulary mappings), the mappings between
the concepts are "fuzzier" and are more a statement of one person's, or
group's, beliefs. The vocabularies can be used without accepting the
statements made about the mappings.

	We are working with the idea that several different groups will
declare their mappings between vocabularies, and users can load in the one
that they agree with. Over time, it may be the case that one or two sets of
mappings become the de facto standard but that there will be an evolution
process to this state.

			A question I would like to raise is how can I specify
			mapping between a collection in one vocabulary and a
concept
			in another? It really is the collection as a whole
that
			matches the concept. However, the collection becomes
an
			anonymous node in the rdf. Is it the case that each
member of
			the collection should be specified as a narrowMatch
of the concept?

		It'd be great if you could give us some more detail on this
particular requirement, e.g. the actual concepts you want to map between.

	Here is an example taken from mapping a vocabulary of journal
keywords (AAKeys) [1] to the astronomical outreach imagery meta data
vocabulary (AOIM) [2].
	In the journal keywords there is the following:

		AAKeys:Stars
		    NT AAKeys:[Binary stars]

	where the collection AAKeys:[Binary stars] has the members

	*	AAKeys:Binaries close
	*	AAKeys:Binaries eclipsing
	*	AAKeys:Binaries general
	*	AAKeys:Binaries spectroscopic
	*	AAKeys:Binaries symbiotic
	*	AAKeys:Binaries visual

	and each of these has no other relationships.

	In the aoim vocabulary, there is the following:

		AOIM:Star
		    NT AOIM:[Grouping]

	where the collection AOIM:[Grouping] has the members

	*	AOIM:Binary
	*	AOIM:Triple
	*	AOIM:Multiple
	*	AOIM:Cluster

		*	AOIM:Open
		*	AOIM:Globular

	The concepts AOIM:Open and AOIM:Globular are narrower terms of
AOIM:Cluster.

	The collection AAKeys:[Binary stars] is an exactMatch for the concept
AOIM:Binary.

	There are about half a dozen similar cases in mapping these two
vocabularies.

	Hope you are able to understand this.

	Alasdair

	[1]