RE: [SKOS]: [ISSUE 44] BroaderNarrowerSemantics

Hi all,

I've just learned that, although it's perfectly clear what a "transitive" property is, it's not so clear what an "intransitive" property is.

In my previous discussion, I assumed that a "transitive" property :p is one for whom the graph (example 1)

:a :p :b.
:b :p :c.

entails

:a :p :c.

This is the standard notion of a transitive property, e.g. as used in OWL.

I also assumed that an "intransitive" property :q is one for whom the graph (example 2)

:a :q :b.
:b :q :c.
:a :q :c.

is inconsistent (i.e. cannot be true).

So I assumed, for example, if someone interpreted skos:broader as an "intransitive" property, they would find the following graph inconsistent:

:cows skos:broader :mammals.
:mammals skos:broader :animals.
:cows skos:broader :animals.

However, I just read [1], which says there are in fact several different notions of "intransitivity".

According to [1], a binary relation is sometimes called "intransitive" to indicate that it is not transitive. This is different from the way I've used "intransitive" previously.

Alternatively, a binary relation R can be called "intransitive" or "antitransitive" when for all {a, b, c} ( (aRb and bRc) implies not aRc ). This is closer to the sense I've previously used. I.e. if the property :q above is "antitransitive", then the graph (example 2) would be inconsistent.

However, note that by this definition of "antitransitivity", the graph (example 3)

:a :q :b.
:b :q :c.
:c :q :d.
:a :q :d.

is perfectly consistent, even if :q is "antitransitive". This is why [1] says that the notion of "antitransitivity" is not very useful.

Previously, I had understood "intransitive" to mean that there are no "short cuts". I.e. If I can get from a to d via b and c, there is no "shorter" way to get from a to d more "directly". In other words, any two nodes are connected by exactly one path. However, I realise now that this is a completely different notion from either of the definitions of "intransitive" given at [1].

So it would appear there are four possible options for skos:broader regarding "transitivity" ...

 Option A. skos:broader is transitive
 Option B. skos:broader is not transitive
 Option C. skos:broader is antitransitive
 Option D. there are no alternative paths in skos:broader

Option A supports the entailment in example 1 above.

Option B is the weakest statement. It does not support the entailment in example 1, nor does it make examples 2 or 3 inconsistent.

Option C makes example 2 inconsistent, but example 3 is consistent.

Option D makes examples 2 and 3 both inconsistent.

Note that option D also makes graphs of the form

:a :q :b.
:b :q :d.
:a :q :c.
:c :q :d.

inconsistent. This is a pattern found in some KOS, e.g.

:violin skos:broader :stringedinstruments.
:stringedinstruments skos:broader :musicalinstruments.
:violin skos:broader :sopranoinstruments.
:sopranoinstruments skos:broader :musicalinstruments.

(I made this up, but I've seen similar patterns somewhere else, I can't remember where exactly.)

Anyway, clear as mud :)

None of this answers the important question, which is: what should the "standard" interpretation of skos:broader be?

Cheers,

Al.

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intransitivity>

--